Question Any objective data on SPG or transmitter failure rates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is anyone aware of any studies showing failure rates of AI transmitters or SPGs? I've looked online and only found various anecdotal reports (including SB posts) but no actual hard data. I understand that it might be manufacturer dependent.

Please do not turn this into a "should you use an SPG for back up with a transmitter" thread. I know that has been debated extensively and understand the arguments on both sides.

"should you use an SPG for back up with a transmitter"

No, you don't have too. I use two AI dive computers with two different transmitter. I haven't used an SPG for at least 25 years (probably longer).

There are no real studies or real data to support either side of the barbed-wire AFAIK. It is all based on experience and hearsay. I am right of course.

I'm team SPG. Inexpensive, they work without batteries and are simple to carry a spare with High Pressure Miflex hose on trips.

Just back from Bali and have seen every brand and style transmitter. While I think it's a "mature technology" they aren't cheap.

I believe now all except SUUNTO are the same broadcast protocol unless you have an older wireless computer that won't receive the newest transmitter's signal (SWIFT I think it's referred to?

Someone jump in and correct me if wrong and help out the OP's question.

I have seen more and more the last 5-6 years on trips. Some transmitter brands want you to use a 4" or so "dongle HP hose". Maybe for better reception or to stop dive guides from yanking on your threaded in transmitter screwed into your regulator's HP port.

Buy and use what you like :)

David Haas

IMG_8578.jpegIMG_8640.jpegIMG_8902.jpegIMG_8941.jpegIMG_9162.jpeg

Is anyone aware of any studies showing failure rates of AI transmitters or SPGs? I've looked online and only found various anecdotal reports (including SB posts) but no actual hard data. I understand that it might be manufacturer dependent.

Please do not turn this into a "should you use an SPG for back up with a transmitter" thread. I know that has been debated extensively and understand the arguments on both sides.
Spend a few days reading the BSAC Incident Reports. I don’t remember reading any, but I wasn’t looking for that type of information.

Define failure.

SPG/transmitter showing wrong pressure?
Lost connection?
Transmitter battery suddenly dying during a dive?
Flooded transmitter or SPG?
Tiny bubble leaks around SPG swivels?
Catastrophic gas loss?

Or human error such as mismatched transmitters in your computer if you dive more than one cylinder + transmitter?

Define failure.

SPG/transmitter showing wrong pressure?
Lost connection?
Transmitter battery suddenly dying during a dive?
Flooded transmitter or SPG?
Tiny bubble leaks around SPG swivels?
Catastrophic gas loss?

Or human error such as mismatched transmitters in your computer if you dive more than one cylinder + transmitter?

In my mind, failure is anything that renders the device giving inaccurate information (or no information) for more than 1 minute.

In reality, however, failure would be defined by whomever is compiling the report. What I'm looking for is objective information on the rates of transmitter or SPG failure per dive or time used, rather than people's anecdotal reports. I realize that such data probably doesn't exist for several reasons:
1. It takes a lot of work to compile.
2. There's not a lot (if any) incentive for a manufacture to gather the data and publish it.
3. In the US, there's not an overall scuba agency (like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) which complies and publishes data from actual scuba diving events. The BASC report only lists numbers of incidents based on equipment problems but doesn't further clarify what the problem was.
4. The scuba market is too small for Consumer Reports or other similar testing organizations to objectively test failure rates by hooking up SPGs and transmitters to tanks, having a machine breathe through the regulator, then seeing how many failures occur per XXX/hours of use (like is sometimes done with light bulbs, appliances, etc.)

Spend a few days reading the BSAC Incident Reports. I don’t remember reading any, but I wasn’t looking for that type of information.
Thanks, I was unaware of them.

I did review them, but they only list Equipment as a cause of the incident and don't specify any further. There's no mention of SPG or transmitter in the reports.

I don’t believe what you are looking for exists. I’ve seen failures of both a transmitter and an SPG. If Huish were to publish transmitter service records, mine might show up there, but I don’t believe really see any reason why they would.

SPG failures would likely be even harder to come by. Most likely, a failed SPG just gets replaced.

I would imagine the rates of failure are pretty low for each. If they weren’t, I’m sure we’d be hearing about it here. For me, what’s more important is the mode of failure. With the transmitter failure I experienced, it happened on initial power up. I was actually testing it after pairing. Computer just read NO COMMS. Pretty clear. The SPG was a bit more subtle. The needle simply stuck at a pressure. Depending on when that needle gets stuck, the failure may go unnoticed at first.

The data isn't available but that should not stop you from planning to manage a failure of whatever system you choose if/when it occurs.

I hate missing a dive due to an equipment issue so I try to cover my bases.

If I dove with a transmitter I would carry an extra battery for it and tool to change the battery. I would carry a hosed SPG in my dive bag. Some people use two transmitters but that seems extravagant to me and I would not go that route.

Since I use an SPG, I carry an extra air spool, a pair of small wrenches to remove the gauge, and a button SPG that I can put on a hose in a pinch. If I am on LOB trip I add a lightweight plastic SPG to my save-a-dive kit.

Dear OP:

Very easy to construct a study...

There is a survey function on this website.

Ask users three question:

1) Number of dives;
2) Number of SPG failures (based on your definition of "failure")
3) Number of transmitter failures.

Compile the responses based on failure for each instrument type per total dives reported and you may generate some very valid and useful information.

I will DM you my prediction so as not to bias the pool of potential responses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom