Any opinions about the Hollis C60 LX Dual Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually thinking about it, if I was living on Gozo and thinking about cave diving at some point, I would consider going to a sidemount rig straight away, something like Stealth Tec. Good all rounder and you can technical wreck dive in Gozo with the benefit of easier shore entry. Save you a load of money on backmount stuff in the longer term, but that's just me!

@toby43 thanks a lot for your kind input on this; truly appreciated!

You make a very good point regarding sidemount vs. backmount (in the context of diving in Gozo). Indeed, that's a question that I spent a lot of time thinking about before even starting to consider wings, also because of the cost-saving that you mentioned.

Ultimately, I *think* (although, mind you, this is a close one to call!) I prefer to carry the cylinders on my back than making multiple trips carrying a cylinder at a time. If it were an occasional dive, I could do it, but if I'm diving regularly, going up and down all the way to the Blue Hole some three times just to carry the equipment... hmm, I'm not sure if it's the way I want to go :) I have to admit that at times I'm still tempted though! Both have their advantages.

I think in the end, the approach I'm going to take is that I go backmount for most of the dives, but add on sidemount when I get started with cave diving, in which case I'd probably go for the X-Deep Stealth Tec or Hollis SMS 100.

For the time being, I'm still trying to decide between getting an OMS dual wing or the Hollis C45 or C60 Dual wing. The Tecline Donut 22 Special edition still beckons; pity it doesn't come in a dual-bladder version.

Argh... decisions, decisions! :)

@toby43 thanks a lot for your kind input on this; truly appreciated!

You make a very good point regarding sidemount vs. backmount (in the context of diving in Gozo). Indeed, that's a question that I spent a lot of time thinking about before even starting to consider wings, also because of the cost-saving that you mentioned.

Ultimately, I *think* (although, mind you, this is a close one to call!) I prefer to carry the cylinders on my back than making multiple trips carrying a cylinder at a time. If it were an occasional dive, I could do it, but if I'm diving regularly, going up and down all the way to the Blue Hole some three times just to carry the equipment... hmm, I'm not sure if it's the way I want to go :) I have to admit that at times I'm still tempted though! Both have their advantages.

I think in the end, the approach I'm going to take is that I go backmount for most of the dives, but add on sidemount when I get started with cave diving, in which case I'd probably go for the X-Deep Stealth Tec or Hollis SMS 100.

For the time being, I'm still trying to decide between getting an OMS dual wing or the Hollis C45 or C60 Dual wing. The Tecline Donut 22 Special edition still beckons; pity it doesn't come in a dual-bladder version.

Argh... decisions, decisions! :)

It's a difficult one. I did a load of technical diving on Gozo with BM and I personally find difficult slippery shore entries unpleasant with a twinset on! But you would have to learn a load of new stuff and buy new kit for technical sidemount, that's for sure. You wont go wrong with the Hollis C45. I use it with an Apeks one piece harness with either a DR aluminium plate or an Apeks 2.2kg SS plate to 60m in a wetsuit with steel 12s and stages no problem. Just my personal opinion and there's lots of fluff on the web about it but if I was buying new I'm not sure one needs to go the dual bladder route unless you happen to find one. Buying second hand I wouldn't risk it though. Attaching a pic.
11252009_10207401123732192_9094801163655842919_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom