Any other divers in the U.A.E.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my PADI OW cert at Sandy Beach in December. I'd love to visit Oman, I hear it's beautiful there. Cold or not, I'm still keen to experience what it's like when the water temp is a little lower here. I didn't buy all this gear for nothing :)

Hi, Im not actually bothered by the water temperature. Havnt worn a wetsuit yet for any of my dives. Its just too cold on the boat on the way back in when the air temp is like it is at the moment.

I dived at Bar al Jissah near Muscat. It wasnt great and have had better dives in Fujairah. I will probably do Musandam for my next dive.

as for the gear I'm the same. Bought Mares reg and octopus, Scubapro BCD. just need the dive computer to complete my kit. will never bother with a wetsuit or my own tank.

Hi there

I prefer a suit, though if it's summer I figure I could go without. Ididn't get cold on my dives in Fujeirah, so I can see your point. My gear I get in NY, and it's so much less expensive than it is here, and I occasionally get a discount on top of already lower prices.

Sad to hear Muscat was disappointing, but I'll be doing Musandam soon myself. I decided to join a BSAC club, since the dives are only 30AED each and they have dive trips every weekend.

I'll post something on gear selection later, will be interesting to get a few comments from the local divers. I have the new Oceanic GT3 CDX5 with DVT, and an AquaLung octo. I'm not much into the local emphasis on ScubaPro. My BCD is still with FedEx, if not tonight I'll have it tomorrow evening. I chose the Aeris Atmos XT over their new LX. I bought a 3/2 Bare full suit for 330AED, including booties and gloves - where the suit only would have cost around 850AED here in Dubai.

We went diving yesterday in Ras Al Khaimah and it was great. We had 2 turtles and a few giant hammours. Plus 2 nudibranches doing there thing.
The temperature was 20.8C at 15 meters yesterday. I dove with a 3mm shorty and it was lovely.

We went diving yesterday in Ras Al Khaimah and it was great. We had 2 turtles and a few giant hammours. Plus 2 nudibranches doing there thing.
The temperature was 20.8C at 15 meters yesterday. I dove with a 3mm shorty and it was lovely.

thats starting to sound a little bit chilly.
last time I dived was a couple of weeks ago at Dibba and it was 24C at 16m.

will wait until this lovely weather we have at the moment clears up before going for another dive.

so wear a long suit..
But seriously, its a great change of pace then the normal 32C which will be back real soon..

so wear a long suit..
But seriously, its a great change of pace then the normal 32C which will be back real soon..

I hadnt started diving when the water was so warm but I do remember going swimming in Jumeirah in May last year and feeling no cooling benefit from the water. Was like swimming in a rather large warm salty bath.

We are planning a trip to Qatar this summer to visit my brother and sister in law who will relocating as temp ex pats

Does anyone have any info that might be helpful concerning diving, general observations , tips etc?

Thanks

3mm shortie in 20 degrees?
Man Ive been in Dubai too long! I wear 3mm full at 26, and anything below 24 Im in a 5mm full!

Dibba is fantastic right now, the vis is ridiculously good, just watch out for the hydroid bastard stingers!

3mm shortie in 20 degrees?
Man Ive been in Dubai too long! I wear 3mm full at 26, and anything below 24 Im in a 5mm full!

Dibba is fantastic right now, the vis is ridiculously good, just watch out for the hydroid bastard stingers!

Dived at Inchacape 2 and Martini on Friday. Vis was pretty poor at abt 4m and there really wasnt a lot to see at that wreck.

By the afternoon when we did Martini vis had dropped to between 1-2.5m. was a complete waste of a dive.

and there were a lot of jellyfish which as quite worrying as I dont wear a wetsuit. no need in 23 degree water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom