Any Reason to Stay NAUI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ez E

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im NAUI OW certified. Got back into diving after 22 years and took a PADI comprehensive refresher. Im not sure how much ambition I have to go beyond AOW certified. Nearest NAUI shop is 45 mins away and I have an SSI and PADI shop less than 10 mins away.

When I go for AOW is there any benefit of sticking with NAUI? Because the dive shops make it sound like I can get AOW with PADI or SSI because they recognize my OW cert.

Sorry for the long post.

A) That's not a long post.

B) The general consensus is that the instructor matters way more than the program. If you have a good instructor nearby who can get you up to AOW (or whatever that program's equivalent is), it really doesn't matter what program it is.

NAUI Advanced is a very different program than either PADI or SSI AOW. More comprehensive, more detailed, more coverage, more dives, more expensive.

While I agree with @tursiops that the NAUI course is more comprehensive and better in several way,. I will take a PADI course with a great instructor over a NAUI course with a poor instructor any day! The instructor makes or breaks the decision because they will make or break the knowledge gained by the training.

The NAUI "Advanced Scuba Diver" is more comprehensive per NAUI's standards. You need to find the NAUI instructor that meets or, preferably, exceeds the standards. NAUI training material are more comprehensive than the competition. I have instructor ratings with several agencies including NAUI and I choose to teach NAUI's courses instead of the others because they are more comprehensive. NAUI encourages me to provide more training than the standards (within reason). You have to shop for the instructor that exceeds the standards.

When you find the right instructor, expect that their course fees will most likely be more than the others. I charge almost double what the others charge but I give more than double the training in terms of contact hours, pool time and openwater dives.

Hint: If the "NAUI" instructor presents his course as "it doesn't matter what agency and they are the same," this means that he offers a mere generic course that it actually doesn't make a difference. I'd run away from him/her and find somebody else.

I basically just have the same thing to say as everyone else. NAUI is hands down better at programming and standards. They also have better liability coverage on their instructors.

But, like everyone else has stated, it boils down to your instructor.

Agency bashing is specifically prohibited by the rules, so I will say that I really prefer NAUI's more academic orientation. But I have the good fortune to have multiple shops with multiple agencies between me and my dive sites. One thing to consider, there is less classroom work and more in-water skills in the later classes. so the location of the shop matters less.

One thing to consider, there is less classroom work and more in-water skills in the later classes. so the location of the shop matters less.

Not sure that I understand what you are saying but with NAUI courses, there is plenty of academic work in addition to in-water training. The student can ask for more in-water training if they wish also. I don't know of any course from any other agency in my region that offers more in-water training than my NAUI programs at all. I offer more than double the openwater training than anyone else. Confined water/pool is way more in addition to classroom time.

I did SSI for OW and then SDI for AOW. I think there may be value in getting training from more than just one program's way of training. While going forward I will likely stick with SDI, I would certainly consider a third agency if it came recommended and was convenient. Just like variety is good in your diet, it's good in dive training too. You will get sick and fat if you just eat cheeseburgers for every meal, every day!

As a NAUI Master Diver and PADI Divemaster, I agree with the comments above about NAUI training being more comprehensive and better overall training. All other things being equal, I would recommend you taking the NAUI class even though the drive is 45 minutes for you....unless all you want is a cert card that indicates "Advanced" so you are not limited on chartered dives...if that is the intent then go with whichever is close, quick, and cheap.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom