Any Reason to Stay NAUI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A) That's not a long post.

B) The general consensus is that the instructor matters way more than the program. If you have a good instructor nearby who can get you up to AOW (or whatever that program's equivalent is), it really doesn't matter what program it is.
So I have never been to the “nearest” NAUI shop. I like being a NAUI diver and I think they command respect. I will say the owner of the local SSI shop is an excellent guy. His attitude, dedication and knowledge is great.

I probably need to visit the NAUI shop and talk to some of the people there.

Look at my bio, and you will see what I think about agencies... My training was selected (aside from OW) because of the instructor(s)...

So I have never been to the “nearest” NAUI shop. I like being a NAUI diver and I think they command respect. I will say the owner of the local SSI shop is an excellent guy. His attitude, dedication and knowledge is great.

Don't be afraid to ask the instructor you choose and trust to customize the course and/or add more training to it.

So I have never been to the “nearest” NAUI shop. I like being a NAUI diver and I think they command respect.

WOW!!!
While I appreciate the difference between NAUI, PADI & SSI...a NAUI diver (or a diver from any of these agencies) commanding respect?......

.....Well, that has got to be the funniest (and saddest) sh!t I have read on the internet this year!

The agency you are certified through does not get you respect...not being a sh!t-show in and out of the water is a start but even that doesn't "command respect". Reality is that no one really gives a cr@p about what agency you got certified through, the recommendations were only to steer you towards more throurough/robust training, but in the end it is ultimately the diver not the certification card/agency that matters.

-Z

WOW!!!
While I appreciate the difference between NAUI, PADI & SSI...a NAUI diver (or a diver from any of these agencies) commanding respect?......

.....Well, that has got to be the funniest (and saddest) sh!t I have read on the internet this year!

The agency you are certified through does not get you respect...not being sh!t-show in and out of the water is a start but even that doesn't "command respect". Reality is that no one really gives a cr@p about what agency you got certified through, the recommendations were only to steer you towards more throurough/robust training, but in the end it is the diver not the certification card/agency that matters.

-Z
Winner Winner Winner

I started PADI (OW & AOW) and have switched to SDI for my last couple cents. I really don’t care what acronym is on my cards. I have never, though, heard that NAUI divers “command respect”.

Reactions: Zef
I always wonder how a person who wants to do an OW can actually tell the difference between agencies, and whether instructor A is a "great one" and to avoid instructor B? Or, what to ask the instructor in n order to "customize training"? What does that even mean and how can someone who never dived even know what to ask?

Even if someone choses a specific school, regardless of agency, and they have several instructors, how can they know that the instructor assigned to them is a great one or mediocre? The school charges extra because they are assigning him "their best instructor" or a discount because they have a less experienced one available? In my country I am not even sure that the price always reflects better, as there are huge differences between cities in prices of rent (especially near the shore), cost of living, salaries for the same job and so on, the price mostly reflects this, not quality (which a person new to OW course cannot tell anyway).

Sure, guys who are diving for years and perhaps did several certifications can tell, but that is not the case being asked here.

Personally, when friends ask me where to learn and that they heard that "Agency X is better and is it worththe pain of extra driving time to a distant location" just because of that, I usually tell them to chose based on comfort, and if they are hooked by diving then it is more important to get certified and get experienced, whatever agency, they all teach to dive for a week or so, then most of the experience comes when one dives more.

Someone asking about DM recommendations, or want to chose with whom to do assistant/instructor? That's a different story and also then the answer is not always simple.

Im NAUI OW certified. Got back into diving after 22 years and took a PADI comprehensive refresher. Im not sure how much ambition I have to go beyond AOW certified. Nearest NAUI shop is 45 mins away and I have an SSI and PADI shop less than 10 mins away.

When I go for AOW is there any benefit of sticking with NAUI? Because the dive shops make it sound like I can get AOW with PADI or SSI because they recognize my OW cert.

Sorry for the long post.
I would say that you are lucky to have two shops less then 10 min away. Choose one, get your certification and start enjoying your diving.

WOW!!!

The agency you are certified through does not get you respect...not being a sh!t-show in and out of the water is a start but even that doesn't "command respect". Reality is that no one really gives a cr@p about what agency you got certified through, the recommendations were only to steer you towards more throurough/robust training, but in the end it is ultimately the diver not the certification card/agency that matters.

-Z
Maybe that was poor wording. I personally dont command respect in my diving as this is a journey that I am relearning and it shows.

1712980415804.png

Now THAT"S commanding RESPECT !!!

Back
Top Bottom