any rock climber here ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go caving (not cave diving although I do that too). I am just not getting into the vertical aspect of caving. I took a SRT course the other weekend for rappelling and climbing single rope. Climbed and rapelled a 70' limestone cliff.

Any good website for caving ?? we are going to Racoon mountain TN jan 25. I hope do learn some stuff about it before the trip.

ALso, the big thing now among the younger people is Bouldering, but i am not fit enough for that !!

Wendy:
I go caving (not cave diving although I do that too). I am just not getting into the vertical aspect of caving. I took a SRT course the other weekend for rappelling and climbing single rope. Climbed and rapelled a 70' limestone cliff.

I went you some info in a PM. But for everyone else, go to www.caves.org. That is the NSS website. You can contact a local grotto (caving club) to get involved. But don't expect anyone to tell you were caves are. Cave locations are kept very secret. Cavers don't want anyone getting hurt, killed, destroying caves, making landowners mad, getting shot, stuff like that. When things like that happen access to caves can be closed. Also protecting bats is a big deal in caving and several caves are closed during hibernation and bat maternity seasons. Also some bat caves can contain deadly levels of histos. So if interested, just contact a grotto and see if they are having any beginner trips.

I LOVE rockclimbing. I've taken about an 9 monrh hiatus from it due to illness and a broken wrist, but am ready to get back into it. I've only been climbing for a couple of years and one of my favorite Christmas presents this year were 10 BD positron quickdraws, which pretty much completes my rack. I could use a few more slings, but I'm pretty much set. Living in Lex, KY, I've got The Red River Gorge in my back door. Two - three months in the gym with a nice weekend here and there and it's "Gorge" time! I just need to build some strength and endurance again at the rock gym.

Wendy:

Have done a bit caving in East Tennessee, and in most of the caves I've been it definitely qualify as rock-climbing (one cave in particular you have to repel in twice and then climb your own line back out). The most awesome part is absolutely no light except what you bring. The caving seems to have made night diving easier for me than some friends of mine. I just always make sure I have a back-up light source.

I LOVE rock climbing. I have been climbing indoors now for about 2 years. It is an amazing work out, the routes give a nice challange and really give you something to work for. When I get to complete a route then it feels so good to know that I can really see myself improve. I have only been climbing outdoors a couple times. I have taken 2 guided tours of The Gunks in New Paltz, NY. After the first time I ever did it we were hiking out a little bit and I turned to the guide and my friend that I was climbing with (private tour - it was great to do one on one) and said now I have done 2 things in my life that I have always wanted to do: scuba dive, and rock climb.

So unfortunatly most of my climbing has been indoors, but its ok. It really gives me a chance to meet a lot of people and the place the I like to climb at the people are real friendly (even the really good climbers that intimidate you) and give you hints, tips, cheer you on, and when you get to the top of something that everybody knows you have been working on they clap. It is such an awesome feeling.

Dxtreme:
just curious, any rock climber here ??

I rock climb indoors at the local YMCA, but I've never actually gone "rock" climbing. I'd love to, though!

Link to a photo of me climbing here in CO at Shelf Road.

40010_4430_1.jpg

"The North Roof" 5.12b

Back
Top Bottom