Any suggestions on a good mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Jeff:

Low profile is important to me. Much more so then fancy do-dads and such.

My local dive shop charges between $55.00 and $85.00 for masks. I'd buy one online, but only if I knew it would fit me.

At least I get a 15% discount as a student.

Try the H20 Alpha. $40 retail. This mask used to be sold by Seavision with pink lenses for $100. It is comfortable, low volume, and available either in clear or black. Rodales gave the seavison a top rating. I have the seavision version (black silicon) with the pink lenses replaced with clear glass. The color correction drove me nuts. This mask may be sold under other brand names.

I have just received -and tested- my new Ocean Master Equalizer Z2. I LOVE it. :thumb:
It is super low volume.
I just seem to see tons more through this mask (and I was diving in a lake! :D ).
Optical lens is replaceable.
This is a purge mask (I don't really care for that aspect).
But what I like above all is the special "Q-strap" that allows me to ajust the mask without pulling my (long) hair =-) . VERY comfy!!
The manufacturer says that the Ocean Master Equalizer Z2 fits most face shapes and sizes. Well, it does fit mine.
I have ordered it online and am VERY happy with the fit.
Leisure Pro sells it for $45.

I am in total agreement on the Ocean Master Z2 - Great mask, the Q strap is incredibly comfortable, and let me tell you, the purge feature is fantastic. If you get a little water inside, look down and exhale nasaly and no more water. Say what you will about clearing a standard mask, but if technology makes my life easier then I'm gonna roll with it.
One note though, large or protrusive noses might be a problem with the purge assembly on the Ocean Masters as they don't have a big nose pocket

Don't worry about brand...or style....worry about fit. I'm sure you've heard all about how to put the mask against your face w/ out the strap, and breathe in through your nose. If the mask sticks to your face and no air leaks, you've got a good one!

Find a couple that do that...then pick out the one that you like best out of the several. Also, the skirt will adjust a little bit to your face after a number of dives.

I am a fan of the low volume ScubaPro Fino personally.

The last time I went on a mask hunt I looked for 3 years and tried on hundreds of masks to find one that fit. My face shape apparently is not real common, so masks that fit me with the beard and 'stach are also uncommon. I bought 3 of them, and had custom ground lenses put in two. I did two dives with them (one each) and went back and bought another 9 masks. The 9 went into inert gas storage. That was about 12 years ago and I'm down to two masks again. The advantage was that the masks that actually fit were $15 each after a bit of negotiation, while the two sets of lenses were about $400 total. $s is not the big factor in choosing a mask, fit and displacement is.

I have had this problem several times in the last 30 years, and found that mask manufacturers tend to change models enough so the lenses won't fit every couple or three years. This is annoying if the lenses are still good, but the skirt starts to fray and you just need a new body to be back in business. I've gotten to the point that I don't trust a manufacturer to keep a model on the shelf for more than a few months. If it works, get several.

My primary considerations are fit and lens distance from the eye. I prefer the bonded in plano lenses for vision correction over the ground in versions because the "puddle" in the concave inside of a ground in lens is _always_ precisely where I want to look when things get critical. The small "annular" between the lens and mask body provides a place for the puddle to go that is not involved in vision.

First try LOTS of masks on. Do this in the water if possible, but dry on the sales floor is better than not at all. If you can pop the mask in place and walk around the store less the strap and without constantly inhaling you have a candidate for further testing.

I have a frameless mask on the way to test dive. I hope it works out all right. I'm only a year into the search for a new mask though.

Back
Top Bottom