Any tips to protect your hips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was bruised all over the hips with a regular weight belt. Went to a weight belt with pouches for soft lead shot weights- bruised again. I switched to weight integrated BC- it is wonderful- no bruises or back pain! It is a bear to put on if I have my weights in first. So, get the BC on and then add the pouches. Also heard the harnesses are great!
Diana

may be to explore use of a different configuration.

I assume from your post that you are at a stage where you are still renting your equipment, e.g. your concern regarding renting shot-filled weights. Ergo you may not yet have purchased a great deal of your equipment.

One way for divers to either reduce the weight of weightbelts or eliminate them entirely is to use a backplate and wings configuration. Backplates may be purchased in increments of 6lbs, 9lbs, 12lbs, or even 15lbs (from FredT - on this board). Still more flexibility comes with the use of trim weights or channel weights (also called 'P-weights'). These may be poured in increments of 4, 6, 8, or 10 lbs, and they fit into the inside groove of the backplate. Another option is the use of weighted Single Tank Adaptors (STAs), which can add 6 more pounds to, for example, a 6lb plate for a total of 12lbs, or a 9lb plate for a total of 15lbs, etc. STAs may also be purchased with no extra weight, in which case they add approximately 1.5 lbs depending on the manufacturer.

As you can see, between the total weights of the backplate, the trim weight (if any), and the STA, one can customize the rig to nearly any weight requirement desired.

The backplate configuration places the majority of your ballast flat against your back. The wing functions as your bouyancy compensator. The combination is obviously no less heavy than using a weightbelt, but the placement of the weight against the back is often more comfortable for many who prefer this system. If you choose to wear a belt this system can significantly reduce the amount of weight that will ride on your hips (or it can eliminate the belt entirely).

This is similar to using a BC with integrated weights. When your BC is on, so are your weights. You remove your weights at the same time as you remove your BC. The same principle applies to a backplate and wing configuration, except that - if you choose to eliminate the weightbelt entirely - you cannot "ditch" your weights underwater. While this is a separate topic, suffice to say that there are very few if any situations where the correct response would be to ditch weights underwater - as doing so generally precludes any safety stops or other control over ones ascent. You have a buddy. You can ditch your rig on the surface the same as you would any other.

Another supplier of all these items is Scott Koplin, also on this board. His stuff is top notch as well. PM FredT or Scott (Oxycheq) for more details if you are interested. I use Fred's backplates and P-weights and have been very satisfied. He offers high quality workmanship and competitive prices. Scott offers the same.

Best of luck to you. Regards,

Doc

One way for divers to either reduce the weight of weightbelts or eliminate them entirely is to use a backplate and wings configuration. Backplates may be purchased in increments of 6lbs, 9lbs, 12lbs, or even 15lbs (from FredT - on this board).

Don't you think a BP & wings is a bit "overboard" for the the average recreational diver?

Also, the setup you talk about is somewhat expensive.

I guess most of us woman have that pain in the as...I mean hip problem when using the weight belts. I used the shot pouches in the very beginning and it hurt very badly. I thought it was because I have fibromyalgia but its good to know i wasn't alone in that.

The second I dropped the pouches and put on my W/I BC the pain went away. Yes it makes for a slightly (depending on how much weight you have to add) heavier BC, but I also find it less awkward than trying to deal with the BC AND a seperate weight belt to boot. The weight belt just never felt right.

Just my thoughts,
Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

A backplate and wings configuration, more than any other attribute in the given circumstances, removes weight from the hips and lower back and redistributes that same weight in the form of a plate against the divers back.

For women who are reporting pain in their hips and lower back, I would think that alone would make it worthy of consideration.

Moreover,

1. They are simple - no more nor less complicated than a standard weight integrated BC; and

2. They actually can cost less than many top of the line weight integrated BCs, comparing manufacturers suggested retail prices. There are many manufacturers; OMS, Dive Rite, Oxycheq, Abyss, as well as Halcyon all offer single tank wings with backplates.

Many divers use them with single tanks and wetsuits.

They are not only for advanced or technically-oriented divers.

I suspect, particularly in this instance, that they may be ideal for "pain-free-oriented" female divers :)

Regards,

Doc

And I am about to purchase a

Zeagle Zena for my wife, she took it for a dive last week and fell in love with it. Intergrated weights, rear 34# wing and a very sexy zip up front.

She also suffered from bruised hips but this BCD will fix the problem.

After my OW I could barely walk I was bruised so badly. I had all my weight on my waist. Now I dive mostly integrated but have 6 pounds that sit in the hollow of my hips. I don't wear them much. One of the disadvantages of being female and having hip bones it sounds like.

Depending on the BC, you may be able to minimize the problem short of going to a weight integrated BC. If you can move some of the weight to the BC pockets the weight belt itself will be much lighter and easier on the backs and hips.

The pockets should be zippered or snapped to prevent the weight from falling out. In my wife's case, she liked her BC and did not want to part with it (she does not do well with change -probably the only reason I'm still around :) ) so I added brass snaps to the pockets on her scubapro Accent BC to augment the velcro closures. She has never lost a weight yet. She also uses a Faber steel 72 that is 11 lbs negative when full and still 6 lbs negative when empty.

The end result is that in a drysuit she carries a 5 lb weight in each pocket and can then dive with only 10 lbs on the belt. The 26 lbs is distributed betwen the tank the BC and the weight beltand she still has a fair amount of ditchable weight in addition to redundant floatation with the dry suit and BC.

Spreading the weight around the belt with five 2 lbs weights also helped as did using a neoprene pocket weight belt for a little more padding.

We tried a shot belt but it had an annoying habit of rotating around her body. This made it both uncomfortable and non-ditchable.

I am using the Zena and absolutely love it!!! I do love the secure feeling of the zipped up front and can't feel the weights at all. Just keep all the straps pulled nice a snug.

Laurel- The Frog Queen
:royal:

to you all for finding the time to help me! I've got lots of ideas now and as I'm still renting my equipment, I can try them out to see how I get on before I take the plunge and buy. Thankyou all once again and I'll let you know how I'm doing.....

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom