Any TRUE benefit to PADI membership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I just got another.... "Join us Today" from Padi. Why would I want to do this??? Any thoughts out there?

(This doesn't need to turn into a PADI bash, they're not my fav either... just asking for some opinions).

PADI = (P)ut (A)nother (D)ollar (I)in.

Why does everyone keep saying that. PADI has so far been the Cheapest I have found. Well, NAUI was cheaper but 25 minutes away PADI LDS matched it.

SSI now, WHEW SSI = Seek[FONT=&quot] Supplemental [/FONT] Income

Well, you do get another card.

GA Under Water:
Why does everyone keep saying that. PADI has so far been the Cheapest I have found. Well, NAUI was cheaper but 25 minutes away PADI LDS matched it.

I never noticed any substantial difference between SSI and PADI costwise.

What I like about SSI however is they require more in-water training. Can't replace experience under the watchful eye of an instructor.

I signed up to get a discount on PADI dive insurance, but they have since moved their carrier to DAN. Membership does come with a magazine subscription, although most of the time, I flip through it in about 5 minutes, and read 1 article (I'm not a warm water diver :D). They used to have a yearly photo issue that was worthwhile, but I don't recall seeing it lately. I'm not going to renew, although I have a subsciption for the next two years. The magazine might be worthwhile if you like dive vacations to far away places. :D

GA Under Water:

You don't understand the meaning. The concept isn't that PADI charges more. Actually, the agency doesn't charge you for classes at all, that is charged by either the instructor, the shop, or the school giving the class. The agency then charges them for the c-card. Often PADI courses are actually cheaper than other courses.

The concept of Put Another Dollar In, regardless if you agree or disagree, true or not true, is that PADI sells certifications, that everyone who pays gets a card. That that are looking for ways to get your money. In this particular instance, the thought is that PADI is selling something of no value.

AmyJ:
So I just got another.... "Join us Today" from Padi. Why would I want to do this??? Any thoughts out there?

(This doesn't need to turn into a PADI bash, they're not my fav either... just asking for some opinions).

I did it for the free "sport bag." They never sent me the stupid bag, so no way I am joining again. The magazine is worth something but not the $20/year, IMO.

As someone who directs certification activities for a non-profit association (of which PADI and all the certifying agencies presumably are), I can only say that in today's world, there is always pressure on these organizations to increase revenue by whatever means possible.

The reasons are generally based on practicalities -- if you want to run a decent operation that people will see as credible, you need quality people, systems, materials, et al. That stuff costs money, obviously. Sticking with the status quo will not work, especially if there are others competing in the same market (NAUI, SSI, etc.).

Therefore we now have in many professions and pursuits, like diving, a smorgasbord of speciality qualification courses and certifications. Without this type of "creative marketing," and additional revenue derived from that, the alternative would be that the cost of basic OW certification (as some have mentioned, the "cost" of the C-card) from PADI, SSI, etc. could rise high enough to discourage many divers from pursuing the sport in the first place.

I personally don't perceive any value in "membership" to PADI (or other agency) if you're not a dive instructor. However,at the end of the day everyone is accountable for figuring out whether something they may be willing to spend money on is of any real benefit to them. Caveat emptor (buyer beware) has become a timeless expression for a very, very good reason.

Happy diving to all,
CW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom