Anybody dive the Mighty O since Gustav?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dove the Oriskany today on the H2O Below. It was my first dive after Hurricane Gustav. Without a doubt it is a whole new dive. The depth is about 10 feet deeper than before. We measured it at several different points and it appears that the wreck sank 10 feet and is listing a little to the starboard side. On the tower it appears that there is about a 18 inch difference from the port and starboard side. In addition to the depth and how it is sitting, there was significant structural changes. The bridges and other swim throughs have stuff that was not there before in the floor. There is a ladder in one of the swim throughs that is no longer connected and is turned side ways. On the side of the smoke stack the facing (I don't know what it is called) that is about 12 inches wide is gone. I think I saw it down below but I was trying to look at everything at once. The captain also noted on the bottom machine that it appears that the flight deck is warped. I don't really know how to explain it other than it looks from like it has waves in the flight deck. There was some discussion about the structure having stress points built in that allow the ship to take the waves and not crack into - maybe that is where the warpness comes in. I don't have a clue - just guessing. Like I said I was trying to see everything at once and was more concerned about the main structure.

So the good news is that if you have never seen it - it is a wonderful dive. If you have seen the Oriskany Pre-Gustav - you need to come see the Post-Gustav version. I have over 100 dives just on the Oriskany and it was a blast to see the changes. I'm diving it again today and will have more information about the changes.

BTW - the vis was not great - 20 feet but that is to be expected. The water was warmer than two weeks ago. The surface feels like bath water. The seas were perfect with less than one foot roller. So it was a bright and sunny day on a brand new wreck named the Oriskany! More to follow....

Sunday the visibility had doubled and will be even better today. Come on back down!

Wait 'til Ike has a shot at her.

We are already thinking about that. It is amazing what a 36 foot of water can do 100 feet under the water.

The captain also noted on the bottom machine that it appears that the flight deck is warped. I don't really know how to explain it other than it looks from like it has waves in the flight deck. There was some discussion about the structure having stress points built in that allow the ship to take the waves and not crack into - maybe that is where the warpness comes in. I don't have a clue - just guessing.
IIRC, the O-boat has 2 sets of expansion joints. Back in 1971/72 I used to work in a space just below the flight deck about 30 frames forward of the forward expansion joint. I recall being in the 01? 02? level decks just below the flight deck and being able to see the various knee-knocker holes in the doorways move back and forth with each other as the different sections of the ship twisted differently while working in a heavy sea. Really heavy seas would cause the expansion joints to hit the limit of their movement with a deep resounding crash. IIRC, there was about 18" of lateral movement possible in the joints.

That explains why we saw the "waves" in the flight deck!

Back
Top Bottom