Anybody done an Emergency Ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
I'm not a submariner, nor do I play one on TV :wink: I wasn't sure if maybe he had some kind of excape pod; that's what I meant by assisted. Of course I know that he would have to be at ambiant pressure if he was unassisted. But, again, I couldn't picture a method in which be could survive going from 1 ata to 11 ata in a busted sub.
If a sub failed at 11 atm it is most likely nobody in the crew would know it.

I'm sure the original post ment the sub was at 1 atm prior to his leaving and in the process of leaving the psi was equalized either by flooding a chamber or the sub itself. My bet was the escape chamber which is no big deal.

Assested and unassisted is not really the right words to use for this. Free or bouyant assent would make better I think. Then it doesn't matter how he left.

11 atm is still within training specs, on paper.

Gary D.

Thanks, but not really what I'm looking for.
A. this thread started with your reference to a old navy diver and he would have definitely known about Capt Bond's sub escape demonstration and I thought would have remarked about it. OW basics even today give a max depth of 60ft. based primarily on the CESA as a out for even a newbie. Most courses (maybe before 94) had a swim requirement of 60ft or so underwater. Any freediver makes trips both ways without air but more later.

B.
First off, even if Capt. Bond's free ascent was unaided, which doesn't seem likely from 1ata at 363 ft. I don't see how it applies to SCUBA since he was starting from a 1ata pressure vessel. 'Course, if the sub flooded, the pressure would have gone up, and his last breath would have been, what? 11ata? My quick search didn't turn up details, but I wasn't interested in spending a lot of time on it.

My error I thought the basics of submarine escapes or lockout was common knowledge. Try http://www.thevoicenews.com/News/2003/0118/Front_Page/002.html
or Gary D's posted links in his #15 post on this thread.
Before sub free ascents, ie. WW11 etc, submariners used a escape lung (ours was a munson lung, Germany a drager unit)
George Bond demonstrated a escape from a sub (initially 1ATA then equilized to ambient and "released" from a lock and floated and swam to the surface) proving the viability of a freeascent. He had a lung full of ambient pressure air which Boyles law says he either continually exhales as he assends or his lungs imitate the Goodyear Blimp.
Now according to our current guiding agencies beyond 60ft we're into a "soft overhead envoirnment" and a CESA or ESA or whatever you call it is more than a minor violation of decom rules. The choice depending on circumstances, which can result in any number of effects or none at all and one factor in this choice is experience which I believe is lost today. Back in the 60s it was common to do "free ascents" in your scuba class (no OW, AOW, etc just 1 class) and in mine you did it from 60ft in a quarry, face to face with me, and noone I can remember, had a problem with it and was considered by all a good experience. Today due primarily to liability aspects its a no no and few people have gotten a feel for doing one. I have never "had" to do one, but have done shot dives to over 150ft and either not taken a breath on the way up or just a sip on more than one dive to try it and just enjoyed boyles again with no problem. Also the present freedive records are in some cases riding a sled down and either free swimming to the surface or in the extreme class hanging on to a float and "flying up". Either a lung full of ambient or surface air at the start makes no difference to the actual ascent, other than the obvious .

C.
Third, I don't subscribe to evolutionary theory, but based on it's premises, I don't see how millions of years moving away from the ocean would somehow enable us to return. It seems to me that diving is primarily driven by our curiosity, and actually counter to Darwinian survival of the species. And, it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread
I have no idea where you come from with that but to me its obvious he was refering to the incompressability of the human body (predominately water) except for the natural air spaces. Bond is also considered the father of saturation diving and guiding force of the Sealabs and other deep ocean exploration.
As a matter of fact in the early 60's, freedives to below 5 atas (132ft), were considered self destructive as it was commonly accepted that lung damage occured when they were reduced to below 1/5th (min residual) their capacity. And so we learn

PS that must be the new, new math, cause by the new math and old math that I learned 363/33 equals 11 +1 (ambient)which used to come out to 12ata

quimby:
A. this thread started with your reference to a old navy diver and he would have definitely known about Capt Bond's sub escape demonstration...

Yes, you're right. Seems like he wouldn't have made such a big deal about the 90+'er if he had.

quimby:
Most courses (maybe before 94) had a swim requirement of 60ft or so underwater.

Interesting. Did they require that you exhale all the way, and keep your speed below 60'/min? If not, it seems to me that swimming 60' horizontally underwater wouldn't be much like a slow, controlled ascent from 60', though.

quimby:
Any freediver makes trips both ways without air but more later.

Starting and ending at 1ata, so Boyles, wouldn't have much to do with it, right? Pretty much N/A to the intent of this thread, if I'm not mistaken.,

quimby:
My error I thought the basics of submarine escapes or lockout was common knowledge.
George Bond demonstrated a escape from a sub (initially 1ATA ...

Thanks for the education!

quimby:
Back in the 60s it was common to do "free ascents" in your scuba class... Today due primarily to liability aspects its a no no and few people have gotten a feel for doing one.

That's part of the reason for my posting this thread. I wasn't required back when I took the class, and I plan on doing some (progressivly deeper) to get a feel for it and increase my comfort level in case I ever HAVE to do one.

quimby:
Not sure where you're coming from on this one...

I was replying to:

quimby:
As evolutionary creatures from the sea, the common heritage of humanity is a body that is capable of descending to any depth in the ocean poroviding compensation is made for the gas breathing systems that evolved to permit an earthly life. Thus we are capable of skindiving to depths as great as one hundred feet.

Just saying that it seems to me that evolutionary theory would state that we've spent millions of years moving away from the sea, and I don't see how evolution enables us to return to it. While diving does benefit the species, it seems to me returning to the sea has required a lot of thought and intention, while evolution is supposed to be natural, unitentional change. But, again, I'm getting away from my original intent.

quimby:
PS that must be the new, new math, cause by the new math and old math that I learned 363/33 equals 11 +1 (ambient)which used to come out to 12ata

Got me on that one. Yes, I know better.

Gary D.

Which Escape Tank did you work at and when? I was an Instructor at the Escape Tank in NLON '81-'83.

Erik

Yes, from about 60fsw. Forgot I wasn't using a J-valve.

Ossgil83:
Gary D.

Which Escape Tank did you work at and when? I was an Instructor at the Escape Tank in NLON '81-'83.

Erik
I didn't work at it but was fortuniate enough to be stationed next to the Pearl Harbor Hawaii tank from 65-70. We had almost free access to it.

Sure miss those days. I bounced around between Pearl, San Diego and Western Pacific. Didn't see the main land much except for schools and saw a lot of WesPac. Did all our Gemini and Apollo recovery training in the islands.

Gary D.

don't worry about emergency ascents, when I ran out of air I swam for the the surface faster then usual but not fast as possible because as you come up more air is availabe and you can get a fresh breath or two depending on the depth you start from.

"action supercedes everything" R Pirsig

Charlie99:
The trick is to merely leave the airway OPEN, rather than contracting the chest or diaphram to actively blow out air. In other words, leave your lung volume constant and let the excess air bubble out. Don't try this unless you have complete voluntary control of your epiglottis.

When I did the practice ESA during OW cert (from something like 25fsw), I exhaled with some force and ran out of air to exhale about halfway up. Granted, it was only 25fsw... but I was still worried enough to try it again. If I just opened my airway and swam up it worked out perfectly.

PS: My instructor taught me, especially if making a deepish ESA, that if one runs out of air in the lungs to inhale (with reg in mouth!!), since the decreasing pressure means you might be able to squeeze another breath or two from your OOA tank.

I have done this training scenario from 42fsw from a suspended tank. (under observation of safety divers) I did a breath hold dive to the tank and reg where I sat for 3 minutes before performing a CONTROLLED emergency ascent. This was all done in cold, murky water.

I was certainly amazed at the expansion rate of my lungs and never felt starved for air the entire trip up. It did take a few times before I figured out the proper exhalation rate though.

I also have to reiterate what everyone else has been saying....

DON'T DO THIS UNLESS PROPERLY SUPERVISED!!

ill tell you all what i dont care what anyone says i dont want to do an emergancy anything unless i have to becasue i dont want to screw up practicing it you all are talking about this for out of air or red mess up i carry a pony and wear doubles on every dive tech or rec. i think everyone should train like cave divers to have enuff redundent to cover anything because you cant just swim out of a cave

Back
Top Bottom