Anybody recommend any dive kayaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I'd like to get into Kayak Diving- does anybody have any experience doing ithis, or could provide some advice on good kayak models to get for this kind of activity?
Ideally I'd like to get something I could dive from, of course, but I'd also like something I could just take out for a normal kayaking excursion.

I personally use a cobra fish n dive and really like it. Its probably the most stable kayak on the market with lots of room for gear and tanks. I use it for diving, fishing, and paddling around with the kids. The downside is that it doesnt track and paddle as well as some of the more streamlined kayaks which doesnt bother me as i am not a long distance paddler.

Here is a site for the fish n dive http://www.cobrakayaks.com/fishndive.html

Gilligan from the board here has a great kayak diving site http://kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/index.htm

I've got a few dives on it now. Nice boat. Not as stable as the FishnDive.

I agree with lal7176, Gilligan's site is a really good starting point.

Peter

I have an Ocean Kayak Drifter and like it. I use it for diving and fishing. It's beamier than a lot of the other kayaks but I consider that a plus for diving. It's not as sleek as some of the others but anything is a tradeoff. The one complaint I have is that the standard aluminum 80 doesn't lay flat in the tank well. The well is about 3 inches too short. It does make it easier to grab so I don't know if this was an intentional design feature or not. A lot of people like the Malibu two and the XT scrambler. Ocean Kayak also has the Scupper Pro with a dive well in the back that is lean and mean.

The ideal situation would be if you could find a beach rental and try them out.

Mark Theobald has a book-Kayak Diving-that is great.

The Drifter is a great kayak fore diving. The FND may be more stabile but you can't prove it by me. I really love my Drifter!

:D :D :D I think that the Drifter may be just what the :doctor: ordered.

I have an Ocean Kayaks scrambler.It is well thought out.The rear tank well also is shaped to hold a playmate cooler when there is no tank in it.The scupper/drain holes are perfect for holding fishing poles or diveflag.

I have a fish n dive that I really like. as stated, it's a bit of a pig as far as handling. But then, does a dive kayak have to be nimble?

JoelW

One thing to consider, if you are are handy with tools and like rebuilding your gear, customizing, etc, plastic boats are not the way to go, you have to have a plastic welder to repair cracks, building onto the boat is a pain, etc. zeN

A friend of mine uses his kayak when he free dives for abs or spearfishes. I've never used one for scuba, but they sure are a fun passtime.

I agree about the fit of the AL 80. LP120s don't fit too well either :)

I've moved on to some HP80s and they are the cat's meow!

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom