Anyone been on the Raja Ampat Aggressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you planning another trip to Raja Ampat? :)

Strange looking boat - from their FAQs -

The Raja Ampat Aggressor is a 100’ steel ship. Built and powered for comfort, safety and stability, she cruisesat 8 knots and has 220-volt power onboard. Accommodations include 1 Master stateroom with queen bed, 2Deluxe staterooms with one queen bed and one twin bed, and 5 Twin staterooms each with 2 twin beds inan L shape. All staterooms have portholes or picture windows, climate controls, TV’s with movies andprivate bathrooms.The Raja Ampat Aggressor sleeps 16 guests in privacy and comfort. She features a roomy, air-conditionedsalon and dining area, and shaded sun deck complete with lounge and deck chairs. The Raja AmpatAggressor has a TV, DVD player and stereo in the main salon. Diving amenities include Nitrox ($150 per10 night charter), camera table, and fresh water showers. .

At the moment there are a couple from another Aggressor who post here on it so i'm pretty sure a loyal to the company report will be posted when they return. One sensible thing - no hot tub.

its the "old" Ocean Rover. You may find more reports for her

Do you mean this funny looking thing?

Google Image Result for http://www.songlinecruises.com/img/Ocean-Rover_01.jpg

---------- Post added October 30th, 2015 at 12:14 AM ----------

Google Image Result for http://liveaboardadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Ocean-Rover_24cabin.jpg

---------- Post added October 30th, 2015 at 12:15 AM ----------

Google Image Result for http://www.dive-and-cruise.com/IMG/jpg/Liveaboard-Raja-Ampat-Halmahera-Ocean-Rover_13.jpg

Yep thats it Chilly..spotted it at Sorong harbour a couple of months ago (I think, looked the same)

OK, given the many choices in the region, how do people decide on picking a RA liveaboard? Price, reputation, safety, itinerary, type of boat, experience of crew, dive guides, and cruise directors, word of mouth, availability, recommendation from travel agent or LDS, dive guidelines/freedom to dive w/o DM, amenities, et al. I have no agenda, but curious?

Yes . . . .

My criteria are a bit unusual for a diver....as a tall ship sailor I prefer a wooden boat with Sails..even if they dont go up often - motor failure no problem. I also look for any mention of sustainability on the boats website. While I understand and support the move to limit the building of Phinisi's due to illegal logging I cant unbuild them and put them back in water, regrow the trees and replant them so I look for a Phinisi with an environmentally aware owner. Owner onboard even better they have everything at stake and few places to hide. I dont want a hot tub i'm interested in you (boat operator) showing me your commitment to the environment you make your living from. Crew - local knowledge and even better if I know them from elsewhere in Indo as guides or they are familiar with many other sites (which most of the LOB guys are in the context of say Lembeh). I like a happy crew, have seen an unhappy crew treated as slaves in PNG and the difference to divers is huge. Route - critically important - I want remote Raja Ampat and if possible exploratory trips - although not necessarily in RA. Ive found a boat i like with a group of people I like so I will be booking a trip late next year to areas less visited in the Celebes sea.
Safety - easy to establish from a website - I would never book on a boat that doesnt advertise its safety standards on its website but that does not preclude me from checking them out for myself when I get there.
Probably irrelevant to other divers but the Captain and the guys and equipment in the wheelhouse are very important to me. I want to see electronics and charts and I want the captain to have good navigational skills.
Flexibility - If we are blown off a dive site, a backup plan should be in place - If I can read the weather, the operator should be able to do it better than I can.
Memory - Tickled pink when I rebook a boat and they calculate and have onboard how many watermelons I go through on a trip.....it makes me feel valued.
Word of Mouth and Opinions of people who have a good knowledge of the industry if I am going to book on a boat I haven't been on before.

And a sense of humour...from the boat tender guys who put up with me making them dance with me after a great dive to the Galley and cabin boys who put my nightie on my younger male cabin buddies bed every night.

Wingy. Agree 100%, in particular about the wheelhouse. I always checkout the engine room, a visual look over reveals quite a bit. Chilly, good point, "all".

I have never ever been on a boat with am unhappy crew. I have seen a few other dives affect the vibe, but an unhappy crew is so not zen. Lastly, it's wonderful to visit I chartered territory and new remote dive sites. It's a mixed bag, but many times is it rewarding. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom