Anyone dive fx-120 doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomGuy1

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving a set of double AL80 and have had no problem moving to them from diving singles. I have 2 fx-120's that I have been thinking about doubling up, but I'm worried about the weight / trim issues. Doing the math, it seems like I would start the dive about 15lbs more negative than what I do now in the 80's (assuming all other gear is the same) and would end up at about 12lbs negative at the end of the dive, so I would still need to carry about 14 lbs on a weight belt. Anything that I am missing in my math or any other concerns with diving the 120's as doubles? You can see my math in the attached .xls to see what I am thinking.

Also, I'm a big guy at 6'4 and 230lbs so I'm not terribly concerned with the weight above water, but I do know it will suck lugging around above water.

Attachments

• Double Tank worksheet.xlsx
    9.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I just put together a doubles rig of Faber FX120s, it is a beast to beach dive with. I am 6'1" about 220, including my backplate I only need about 18 pounds of weight. I struggled a little with trim, and takes some trial and error to finally get it dialed in. I took an 8# V Weight and cut the top off it, maybe 3# max, I then installed it upside down from the bottom bolt. That seemed to finally get my trim sorted out. Dove the setup recently on the HMCS Yukon in San Diego, had no issues.

Climbing up boat ladders in stuff that big is brutal. And they will age your spine fast. I know you already own one, but getting something smaller like lp85s/hp100s as your first set of doubles is a good idea. As you grow into diving (assuming you do although many divers quit) you can reassess the need for large doubles.

Tell me about, 7 dives on the Yukon the other weekend. I really felt the weight the last few trips up the boat ladder. Though they are only 10 pounds heavier than a friends doubles, and she has lp85s.

Thanks for the advice. I have lined up the purchase of a set of HP 100 doubles (x7-100's). I decided that the 120's would just be too much, especially since I'm not doing deco yet. Now my concern is that the relative shortness of the HP 100's will make them hard for me to trim out with my height. I guess I'll find out when I first dive them...

Thanks for the advice. I have lined up the purchase of a set of HP 100 doubles (x7-100's). I decided that the 120's would just be too much, especially since I'm not doing deco yet. Now my concern is that the relative shortness of the HP 100's will make them hard for me to trim out with my height. I guess I'll find out when I first dive them...

I am 6ft and 230. I have the worthington HP100s and they are way too short and I need to use almost 12lb just to trim.

If you are concerned about weight look for Faber 100s or LP85s. Or go back to the HP120s.....

We may just have different body compositions, but.......

I had a few issues with trim, and finally took a V Weight and cut off the top end. I install it flipped so all the weight is below the lower tank band. My trim is pretty good since doing that. I have no weight on the upper tank bolt. It is going to take a few dives to get the trim sorted out.

I had a few issues with trim, and finally took a V Weight and cut off the top end. I install it flipped so all the weight is below the lower tank band. My trim is pretty good since doing that. I have no weight on the upper tank bolt. It is going to take a few dives to get the trim sorted out.

I have no weight on the upper bolt either. All my weight is located below the bottom bolt or lower. I have tried various methods from mutltiple highly qualified instructors. It is what it is and the worthingtons dont work for me.

They are large tanks, the Worthingtons would probably be a better choice if you can find a set of used tanks. I see a lot of people diving the Faber LP tanks as doubles, though normally smaller tanks. I did not like the buoyancy of the larger LP tanks, so went with the HP120s which I already had.

They are large tanks, the Worthingtons would probably be a better choice if you can find a set of used tanks. I see a lot of people diving the Faber LP tanks as doubles, though normally smaller tanks. I did not like the buoyancy of the larger LP tanks, so went with the HP120s which I already had.

oh, you are talking about HP120s. Thought you were responding to his his worthington hp100s

Back
Top Bottom