Anyone Dive the Christ of the Abyss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We snorkled there last May and it was crowded. We took our snorkle trip through ths State park (can't spell the name right now) and saved a good bit off money. Getting into the park probably cost around $6 and the snorkle trip cost around $25. You might as well snorkle Christ of the Abyss. Before the hour was up I was bored.

I dove with Conch Republic earlier that week. Now that was a blast! A lot more sea life to see.

I've been there wioth It's a Dive at the Marriott. I've dived with them on a couple of trips and like the shop and people.

Steve

[FONT=&quot] Are there any issues I need to worry about?

Yes. It's boring, fake, and depressing. They should get the real fake-under-water-jesus.

Its worth a dive b/c its famous - but it can be crowded, low viz, and there are LOTS better reefs (not to mention wrecks)

Molassas and French, for example - shallow sites there too that are better than the statue

To me, the best reef in the park is Carrysfort deep; its a drop off and you can swim north and south and see it all on 2 dives - because of its location - way north; maybe 20 miles from Molassas/French - its rarely visited by the southern Key Largo operators

Awesome dive indeed, I went quite some time ago but I remember it very vividly still! Now, I heard from some locals that somewhere in the mediterranean or some other far off ocean location there is an exact replica. The cool thing is that it is said to be facing this one exactly as if one of them was looking into a mirror. I am sure I have got the lore incorrect but I remember it being something along those lines. Anyone know what I am talking about?

...Now, I heard from some locals that somewhere in the mediterranean or some other far off ocean location there is an exact replica. The cool thing is that it is said to be facing this one exactly as if one of them was looking into a mirror. I am sure I have got the lore incorrect but I remember it being something along those lines. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Apparently there are at least 3 of them.. the original being in Italy.

Il Cristo degli Abissi" was created by Guido Galletti after an idea of Italian swimmer / diver Duilio Marcante. The statue was placed near the spot where Dario Gonzatti died in 1947. He was the first Italian to use SCUBA gear.
See this link - Christ of the Abyss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and this one Sculpture Christ of the Deep

If weather (wind & waves) is poor, go somewhere else. As viz will be poor. It is a shallow dive...roughly 20' deep and surrounded by coral. Coral surrounding the statue goes to within 5 or 6' from surface. Lots of surge if wavy.

Not to diminish anyone else's experience, but it is a "been there, done that" type of dive.

If weather is PERFECT (unlikely in winter/early spring) it can be a fantastic dive as the coral in surrounding areas is marvelous.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom