Anyone diving after retinal tear surgery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UPDATE

Saw the doctor today and I've got two more weeks of couch potato! ARGH!!!!!¡ Trust me I am NOT taking any chances. So far the eye is healing great.

The doctor did say that I may experience a tear or detachment in my other eye. What the heck! I hope I can dive again before that happens.

Last edited:
A number of folks in my old cohort (military and public safety folks) and myself have had either holed or detatched retinas. All went back diving and all were fine. You might be a bit predisposed to one in the future but you show excellent common sense. Just let it heal. Then go diving. Hope that little tad of info helps.
Mike

Thanks Mike. Just trying to be patient and hopefully help someone else who may be experiencing the same thing. So I'll continue reading SB to learn about everyone else's diving.

Selchie - You might want to PM SB member idocsteve ...

View Profile: idocsteve - ScubaBoard

No, you are not his patient, but he's been very generous about answering questions dealing with scuba and its effect on eyes.

I recently experienced a retinal tear due to butting heads with one of my dogs. The dog is fine, but I got a retinal tear.

Hey Selchie in LB – i just wanted to follow up on this and ask how you're doing? Are you back diving? I'm asking because I currently have a detached retina, which we think happened from butting heads with Buddy my dog. Although that was a while ago, it's only just been diagnosed. It hadn't caused a massive problem with my vision, hence it going un noticed, which is rather frustrating as I went straight to the ophthalmologist at the time. I'm already thinking ahead and trying to get a clearer picture of what to potentially expect. It's definitely detached so something is going to have to happen to fix it.

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes and a U shaped retinal tear in my right eye repaired as well. I was told that, after a reasonable recovery period (three months for the cataracts and two for the tear), I could go back to diving. I dove on my next vacation opportunity. This was about four years ago and I've had no problems since.

Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom