“If you’re sick after a dive, take it seriously”- final update series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Figured I’d post a new thread on this because the old one is really full. If it doesn’t belong here, mods please move or delete.

So here’s an update because I can’t sleep (even with melatonin, gotta love it). Had an MRI which showed something called a Chiari malformation. What that means for my problems, I’m not really sure. My vitamin B12 is pretty low too, which may be the main cause of what’s going on. Not totally sure.

But anyways, I saw a neurologist yesterday. She sent in a referral to a neurosurgeon to see if my problems are related to that malformation, and if it should be fixed through surgery. Brain surgery…yay /s. Worst part though is I was told not to drive until I’m evaluated by the surgeon. I bet it’ll take forever and a day to get in. This is ass. Here’s to hoping things get fixed somewhat soon, but patience is a virtue, right? I’ll update when my doctor calls me about the vitamin levels, and after I see the neurosurgeon.

If anyone has an idea of why all this crap started after diving, or if it’s just a crazy coincidence, I’d love to hear your thoughts. :)
Thanks to all who have shown interest in my issues and have given a lot of support. It means more than you know. :)

Sounds like type 1. It’s congenital so you have had it since birth, usually doesn’t manifest itself until teens, young adulthood. Probably just weird coincidence.
there is a lot of information out there about it. If you start researching stay with relevant web sites. Mayo. Clinic, PubMed, etc.

Sounds like type 1. It’s congenital so you have had it since birth, usually doesn’t manifest itself until teens, young adulthood. Probably just weird coincidence.
there is a lot of information out there about it. If you start researching stay with relevant web sites. Mayo. Clinic, PubMed, etc.
i've done some research on the sites you mention, and it seems like my issues could be caused by it. but my vitamin B12 levels are also fairly low, which could also be a cause. so i'm a bit lost, lol
eta- i'm 20, so right around the age where the effects would come up i think

Research is open to misinterpretation, and does not apply to the individual as it often leads to anxious existence disease and is quite detrimental to health as opposed to let the process take
it's course process as you can not know the outcome before there is one so best not to dwell on
the undwellable

Be strong, smile, be happy

It is conceivable to a non-medical observer that Chiari malformation could be exacerbated by Scuba diving, probably more from the prolonged neck position and equipment weight than hyperbaric exposure. Thank you for sharing this journey and hoping for the best.

Wow! Quite the departure from a dive-specific issue. :confused:

Just know that you have a whole hoard of folks pulling for you!
It is conceivable to a non-medical observer that Chiari malformation could be exacerbated by Scuba diving, probably more from the prolonged neck position and equipment weight than hyperbaric exposure. Thank you for sharing this journey and hoping for the best.
Awh, thank you both.
Thankfully my neurosurgeon appointment isn’t too far away- November 9th. Whatever they say will likely be my final update on the thread.
Crazy how it went from seeming like a diving problem and now it’s all of this. Never would’ve guessed I had brain abnormalities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom