Anyone diving with TMJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quinn_B

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven't been diving in a few years but I'm curious if anyone has experience managing TMJ issues when diving. I've put a pause on it for now but I'm dream of returning to diving someday. I miss getting in the water.

I had a colleague with that issue, years ago, and she wound up using a full-face mask to great success, after having issues with every conceivable mouthpiece . . .

I don't know why that hadn't occurred to me but that makes a ton of sense. One's jaw could be as relaxed as it needed to be through the dive. I appreciate the info!

I have some jaw issues. Locking on one side after diving in some situations, followed by pain on the same side. I’ve had great luck with very flexible hoods. The NEMO 5mm is incredible. I also have their 11mm, but sometimes have issues with that one. If I’m diving CCR, I take time to make sure loop hoses are properly adjusted before a dive. DPV and CCR seems to cause the most issues for me. I guess that makes sense. I’ve switched my OC regs to the comfo-bite mouthpieces. I hated them at first, but don’t notice now. I spent 20 or so hours underwater on a trip to Mexico earlier this year and had zero issues. For me, the NEMO hood is worth every penny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom