Ideas of location with easy and colorful diving to take teens? Not fancy/reasonably priced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splash8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just took our teens on their first dive vacation to Curacao and they absolutely loved diving and learning about reef creature behavior as much as we do! Other than the Carribean, we have explored Hawaii (diving pre-kids & snorkeling with kids) which we love.

For a future trip, we are interested in finding a location with species we haven't seen before, but I'm unaware of any budget friendly options on other Pacific Islands for a family of 4. I don't think they are mature enough for a live aboard...my dream is Raja Ampat someday when they are. We especially love shore diving since we can be on our own schedule but are open to ideas. Thanks!!!

Very little in Pacific is particularly cheap, especially for a family of four. Off the beaten path , but Yap is a pretty quaint island. Manta Ray Bay isn’t particularly expensive from my recollection. Not as dense of marine life as Raja or even Palau but a nice place with nice people.

The thing to remember for both airfare and diving is that fuel and engine parts and maintenance aren’t cheap anywhere in the world. Boats are expensive to operate pretty much everywhere and if you are flying 6k-8k miles the airline is shelling out a lot for fuel even if you are packed like sardines in the back of coach . If you hadn’t flagged the kids maturity issue , I would have said that liveaboards on sale might be your best bet.

You might just try another place in the Caribbean this year (Cozumel, Bonaire, Belize or Honduras Bay Islands) for less money than you would spend on the Pacific and try to reserve some money to spend on Pacific next year. Bonaire is great for shore diving but is obviously close to Curaçao so probably similar in marine life (not my neck of the woods though ). . The Pacific is generally more challenging diving than much of the Caribbean so drift diving in Cozumel might be good experience for the kids.

Sorry I don’t have a clean answer for you. The high airfare costs due to fuel and the relatively high operating costs (aside from labor) on remote islands make value hard to come by. One final thought is that Thailand is not particularly difficult to get to and is relatively cheap , but I have never been there (there are numerous other places that are higher on my list of diving destinations based on opinions I have formed over the years based on things I have read and heard )

@splash8

Good to hear your teens are enjoying diving. A family that dives together is a great thing...

Our daughter was certified at age 12, and our son was certified two years later, also at age 12. They are now 21 and 19, and have been diving several times a year since their original certifications (along with getting their advanced and rescue certifications).

From the moment our daughter was certified, we've been traveling with them for diving in the Pacific and the Coral Triangle. The Caribbean is easy, but not diverse, and way too crowded for our taste.

Places we've been that were "reasonably priced..." - Hawaii (we like the diving on the Big Island the most), Yap (as mentioned above, you will see mantas, and mostly likely quite a few), Pohnpei (a bit wild, but very worth it), Fiji (there are some very cheap resorts in FIji, just have to decide how much you want to spend). Take a look at Matana Beach resort - authentic, very comfortable, very good diving.

Tahiti and the Maldives - beautiful, great diving, but not "reasonably priced" (but we've returned to both several times because the diving is that good).

Much of Indonesia (including Raja Ampat) can be done very cost effectively - it's just a bit costly to get there (given airfare, etc.). We've done Raja Ampat twice with our kids, they both really enjoyed it. We've going back to Lembeh (central Indonesia) this summer for our 4th time. We have found Indonesia to be cheaper than most of the Caribbean for hotel, food, diving with airfare being the more expensive bit.

The flights are long from the US, (no getting around this), however we always stop in Japan, Korea, or Taiwan (coming from the west coast) get off the plane walk around the aiport, etc. Then we give ourselves a day in Singapore to get over some of the jetlag, eat good food, etc.

A place you may not have thought of: the Solomon Islands. We've been twice, and my son and I are going back in August. These islands sit just on the edge of the Coral Triangle (so great diversity of marine life), while not being quite as far as Indonesia (you can transit in Fiji or Australia). Check out Uepi Island Resort (their website is being renovated, but they are open). This was some of the best diving we've done anywhere in the world (sharks, soft coral, critters) and the resort is run by an Australian family who's been living there for ~30 years.

The other thing I would mention here is that our kids are so much more aware of the wider world because of our travels - I wouldn't trade this for anything. Our son has played soccer in a local village in Indonesia, and our daughter helped teach an English class for a few days in the Solomons. These aren't experiences that you can put a price tag on.

Perhaps the Cook Islands?

@splash8 How is your local diving? It looks like you are in North Carolina. Which is definitely on my list of places to dive. It looks like there is a fair amount of wrecks in both the recreational and technical ranges. It also looks like a good place for someone who is fairly new to their dive career (less than 500 dives) to really work on improving their diving skills whilst managing exposure protection. I would like to do some diving through Olympus Dive center in Morehead. Do you have any experience with them?

Check with Hilde at Nomad Divers on Bankka Island, North Sulawesi, Indonesia for fantastic diving at a comfortable small resort (10-12 people maximum) at a reasonable price. Easy access from Manado (MDC) airport. The diving will amaze you.

This is ALL so helpful! Thank you all so much for the info! Our local diving is definitely more challenging than we think our teens are ready for. We decided to go back to Curacao as we stayed in the Westpunt area and check out a different section...it is nearly the same price to fly/stay/dive as it is to stay oceanfront in NC during peak season! Then we will look at these awesome pacific ideas on future trips. If the kids' skillset improves, we will try going off the coast of NC. We did it a bit ourselves pre-kids, but not a ton as it's so far off shore & dives are frequently blown out last minute; half of our familly of 4 gets very seasick...hoping the scopolamine patch will help when the kids' skills improve. Keep the ideas coming! We are excited to enter this phase of sharing diving together!

You can't leave the kids at home with a relative?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom