Anyone do Mountain Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A buddy of mine once brought a game carrier for a half mile haul to a spot on a river and it was a horror show! I'd rather wear the gear! The issue was balance, because this one had a big wheel in the front (or back, depending on if you're pushing ar pulling) like a wheel barrel, and so you couldn't center the weight. Getting there wasn't so bad, it was getting back, UPHILL that was the killer. So I suggest that any cart would let you place the weight over the center of balance, IMHO.

I guess coming down isn't so bad but I'd be careful about strenuous expercise after diving. Quite risky.

I'd like to be able to take an ATV (if I could afford one) but most of these trails are closed to motorized vehicles. In fact many are closed to bikes as well, which becomes a problem.

Yep, in some cases hiking the gear in would be the only option, however I'd like to avoid that if I can. Although my double 80's aren't too heavy for a short walk across the parking lot, it would be tough on a hike through the woods. And my buddy's double 95's would be impossible!

Tony

A friend and I have been eye balling a 12K lake here in Colorado; the approach is about 5 miles and in places just a bit less than a technical climb, so bringing gear in on our back is the only option. We'll probably only bring in one complete set of gear, and dive a smaller cylinder like a 40 max. Only one diver in on a line with the other "diver" with snorkeling gear (just in case) tending.

The "weight belt" will probably be a game bag filled with rocks to cut down on hiking that in...

Roak

I was thinking along the same lines about using a smaller tank, particularly if the lakes are fairly shallow.

As for the weightbelt, my wife suggested using a fanny pack and filling it with rocks. I thought that was a good idea along with bringing along my aluminum hanging fish scales that I use to weigh my backpack for hiking, in order to get the weight right.

Tony

A good game cart has handles at both ends. It is much easier to control the balance with two people(the buddy system). the brake is as important for uphill travel as it is for downhill because it allows you to stop and rest on the uphill as well as stop runaways on the downhill. The best ones I have seen have all been homemade using the front wheel of a motorcycle.

If you use rocks for weight it will not be a pound for pound exchange because rocks have a different density than lead and therefore displace more water than lead. In short you will need more weight.

Back
Top Bottom