Anyone do Mountain Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Lake once bubbled...
If you use rocks for weight it will not be a pound for pound exchange because rocks have a different density than lead and therefore displace more water than lead. In short you will need more weight.
That's why we figured that we'd need the volume on the order of a game bag...

Roak

Do like some sump divers that I know do.

Small tanks and other gear in a back pack. I would use lead but again I would do what they do. Take it in only once and leave it there. Some of the hikes they take I think are harder than climbing because in addition to climbing the have crawls and swims. Nasty stuff.

you might want to consider Loon Lake, which is somewhat close to Icehouse (probably a lot less boat traffic)I was camping there earlier this summer and snorkled there..nice!( no dive buddy so I didnt dive)
There are several access points -one at the boat launch facility and another at the damn both accessable by cars.
Vis was probably 30- 40ft but not sure about the depth?
The Rubicon Trail passes very near the lake so Mt bikeing and 4 wheeling could also be of some interest as well!
Have fun and let us know what you guys do?
Drew

West Marine sells durable 2-wheeled carts that would allow you to carry anything up to twin tanks. With bungie cords, you could pack everything onto one cart.

Was supposed to spend all weekend working but on Sunday my wife and I thought we should enjoy the unseasonably warm weather and head to the mountains for a day hike. I thought I might as well bring along my SCUBA gear.

To lighten my load, I left the jet fins behind and took some lighter ones. Took an AL40 for backgas and an AL13 for redundancy (yes, I was going solo). Stuffed this, drysuit, regs, etc. all into my old army rucksack. The gear still weighed around 65-70 lbs. I'm not quite sure how much since my hanging scale only goes to 50.

We drove up to Carr Lake here in N. California and hiked in about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 miles which was actually pretty easy, to another lake called Island Lake. Since I was solo, my plan was to have a max depth of 30', tow a sausage on the surface, and sling the pony. My wife remained on the surface and watched.

For weight, I used one large fanny pack, filled it with granite rocks and had no problems descending. I think I'm gonna try to combine two of them next time so I can distribute the weight more evenly. I could tell my trim was off with just the one large pack.

Never got below 20' because... the lake wasn't any deeper. Viz was about 20-25'. Didn't see any fish but saw lots of unique rock formations and fallen logs, etc. All in all a very good dive.

After the dive, the wife and I just lounged around on a small rock outcropping in the middle of the lake and enjoyed the late summer sun. Very picturesque and relaxing. I think I'm gonna have to do this more often next summer!

Now to catch up on the work I was supposed to do!

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom