Anyone else have this problem???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akforsyth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It seems that my secondary mask no longer fits??? Every dive with it it is all of a sudden pressing into the bridge of my nose. I know I have a rather large nose, but this gets pretty damn painful. Of course it only happens at depth because of the pressure, but it is necessary to keep it from leaking profusely. Just wondering if other out there with large noses have the same problems with some masks? Time to ditch this one to my wife and get a new one... The story of all of my dive gear...:D

akforsyth once bubbled...
It seems that my secondary mask no longer fits??? Every dive with it it is all of a sudden pressing into the bridge of my nose. I know I have a rather large nose, but this gets pretty damn painful. Of course it only happens at depth because of the pressure, but it is necessary to keep it from leaking profusely. Just wondering if other out there with large noses have the same problems with some masks? Time to ditch this one to my wife and get a new one... The story of all of my dive gear...:D

Do you slightly exhale through your nose every so often to equalize the pressure of your mask to your face by any chance.

I used to have the same problem then I started exhaling a little through my nose after equalizing sinus pressure during descent. This helped even with new masks.

yeah, I do exhale slightly or else my eyes would touch the glass. The problem seems that the mask fits perfect on land, but even with the slightest added pressure it tends to ride on the bridge of my nose. I'll be going back to my original mask, which fits perfect, just does not have a purge valve. Next mask I will definately keep in mind the size of my nose! Thanks for your replies.

It sounds like your mask is too low volume and there simply isn't enough space between your mask and face? Maybe the skirt has been "squished" or something.

:confused: Interesting problem...

I had the same experience with a mask I had. Only it happened after I changed the mouth piece on my regulator to a comfo-bite from aqualung.

Turns out the added ridge that fits over the front teeth raised my lip enough to change where the mask rode.

Just another idea to look at.

Hallmac

My husband has been having problems getting his mask to fit lately and we couldn't figure out why. Then you hit the nail on the head! he just got the new mouthpiece!!

Thanks that solves a "duh?!" moment for us.

Occasionally during a dive I used to realize that my nose was hurting. At first I attributed to the mask being too tight or too small or too close, etc. But that wasn’t it.
A little space over my nose bridge was sealed and was not equalizing with the rest of the mask. After I figured that was the problem, I just wiggle my nose a little every so often during dive. Solved.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom