Anyone ever dove drunk... ?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ones who have won't admit it here...

There's a safe group for these sorts of free exchanges.

Personally, I've had a beer and then gone diving a couple hours later. Not "drunk" or anything remotely resembling it.

When I was a teen back in the 70s I must have but I do not remember so I will have to say yes. I also tried to fit a roach clip into my reg and needless to say that was a bad idea.

does not do well for your SAC rate, er, so I was told

Legend of the drunk diver, Gennie Springs, Florida.
A diver was up one night getting drunk with friends, decided he wanted to see what the Ball room cavern looked like at night...... (same as it does during the day, dark)
So he goes in alone and without a flashlight.
Divers found his body the next morning, 2-3 feet away from the opening. Apparently he swam around in circles till he ran out of air.
It was a cloudy night and the moon light was blocked out.

Personally no, but .....

I was diving once with guy who knew some guy who was an alcoholic diver. Guy downed a 16 oz tall beer just before a dive. Sober guy thought better to let alcoholic guy drink so wouldn't go through withdrawal but never dove with him again.

Diving drunk? Not sure I can comment there... Diving hungover, however, is probably the best cure for the malady. Cold water your face and some hyperbaric oxygen treatment... works every time.
Ive never felt as horrible as when hanging on the mooring line doing a safety stop while hungover. The dive was brilliant, hanging at the line spinning around the line and bobbing up and down with the swell - NOT SO MUCH!
Not done THAT more than once..

Diving drunk, like operating heavy machinery drunk, is not something that seems like a good idea. I have dove in the afternoon after say, having a beer at lunch, and never had any issues, but it's not something I do regularly. Like so much else in diving there are so many unknowns that it doesn't seem worth it to push it, and they do say depth can increase the effects of alcohol, so I suppose it's possible you could be mildly buzzed at the surface, and raging drunk at 100ft. I've always been curious of how being buzzed would impact someone with nitrogen narcosis, maybe it cancels out :p.

I do wish I could find a liveaboard that would tolerate one beer at dinner and still allow a night dive, I miss too many night dives :)

Reactions: Heg
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom