Anyone getting oversize fine for Akona Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esox69LB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am flying AA from Ohare to Cancun in two weeks. I need my dive gear bag! If I measure it just right it is a couple cubic inches under the max if I only use the main
compartment. $100 fine each way..... Has anyone been busted?

Which bag are you referring to? I have 2 of the rolling duffels and never have any problems.

That bag is very close to max size so no, they won't be measuring it but it is heavy and they will be weighing it...:D

We get weighed all the time in Chicago. I have been fined $25 for two pounds. Cu Inches is something I would end up "discussing" if it was close and the fine is $100 for size on AA.

I have a large Akona rolling bag and have stopped using it because it's oversize. 62 linear inches max. Mine is height (33) + width (19) + depth (11) because the front pockets stick out so far = 63. Not a big deal since it's too spacious for one person & things rattle around in there. Replaced it with an REI Beast backpack/duffle (no wheels) -- nice size, BC & fins fit beautifully, machine washable and easy to use and store.

My Akona roller dive bag has yet to be fined for being oversized. Have traveled all over the world with it. Weight is the real issue. Most airlines fine you for anything over 50 lbs. My Akona bag can easily hold 75+ lbs. or more. So weigh your bags first.

Ditto, I have one of the big Akona roller bags (with the fin side pockets) and have never been even blinked at for it by the airlines. Agree about it being easy to pack much more than 50# in it, so definitely weigh your bag.

I use my huge Akona dive bag with the side fin pockets and front regulator and upper front pockets and have never been fined or had a problem. The last time I travelled with it was in November.

I pack everything inside the bag for travelling, so all the big pockets are flat. This definitely helps the size factor. I mainly do this so I don't have to put locks on every pocket. I use TSA locks so they are acceptable to customs. Just a caution: I have had locks on every pocket, but one got caught somewhere once, and the lock and zipper pull broke right off (easily repaired by a shop). This could have been prevented by using the travel cover that comes with it tucked in the back zipper compartment or just not locking the fin pockets. Having everything inside the main bag will make it less bulky.

My dive bag usually weighs about 35 - 40 lbs DRY. I always weigh it as well, and it depends what you take/need. I try to make sure all the gear is as dry as possible before flying back to not increase the weight.

We are taking our first long weekend on United from LAX to Maui in March, plan to use our Akona bag for dive gear, and will be pissed if there is a $175 oversized fee. All of our earlier trips have been on either American (where I am a million-miler / lifetime gold) and Aloha (boy, do we miss them), and NEVER had an issue.

I have measured the empty bag a couple of times, and it comes VERY CLOSE to the 62" limit. Depending on how it is packed (2 sets of gear), and the ticket agent measurement, it could go over.

From what I have read, United is one of the stricter airlines in this regard, and the ~$200 RT bargain disappears quickly with $350 in oversized baggage fees.

Coincidentially, UPS to Maui is also $175, so that is not an option.

Any recent, specific experiences to share?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom