Anyone gone from an APSC/Advanced Compact to a Point and Shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleomagic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying to decide what to do - on land I shoot with a Sony a6500 and underwater I shoot with a Sony RX100 (original). I love the manual control of the RX100, but I am looking at the fantastic macro photos people are grabbing with an Olympus TG-6. I have a +10 diopter for my RX100; however, the working range is so close and the field of view is so tight, it is frustrating/difficult to get the shot I want.

I am concerned about the lack of manual control available on the Olympus - has anyone else done this switch from full manual to an Olympus TG-6? How was it? would you do it again? I have determined I am a diver who takes photos (not a photographer who dives), so I am not looking for something that is going to need to be published in a magazine. I am traveling to Tubbataha and Tulamben in April, and wondering if camera change is worth it.

Thoughts?

I went the opposite direction. I am also a diver who happens to take pictures.
I still have the tg6 and intend to use it but I found a great deal on an underwater housing for my DSLR.

I primarily opted for the DLSR for resolution and clarity.

You'll be happy with the TG6. Its really simple to use.

About manual control, just follow the backscatter guide on capping ISO and minimum shutter speed.
I set it to a maximum of 200 ISO and minimum shutter of 1/150. These values, with a strobe, are fine for macro.

A6xxx series has a pretty compact body, barely larger than most compacts, and the size of one's underwater rig gets dominated mostly by strobes. I shoot an A6300 in a SeaFrogs housing, with either a Canon EF-S 60mm or a Sony 90mm for macro. The 90mm lens is bigger and heavier than the camera body.

مائة يا أستاذ برهان

100. Which is what I aim for by increasing light.

So you severely limit the variables where it becomes an almost manual camera.

I have no experience with the TG6, but consider the Canon GX7-III. Compact point&shoot, 1" sensor, RAW, fully manual, quality housings available (I recommend the Fantasea with vacuum check).

Native macro might not be as great as the TG6, but external (wet) 67mm macro & wide-angle lenses are easily available for the housing.

Some shots with the GX-II:
Cozumel Dec 2023

Back
Top Bottom