Anyone gone from an APSC/Advanced Compact to a Point and Shoot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no experience with the TG6, but consider the Canon FX7-III. Compact point&shoot, 1" sensor, RAW, fully manual, quality housings available (I recommend the Fantasea with vacuum check).

Native macro might not be as great as the TG6, but external (wet) 67mm macro & wide-angle lenses are easily available for the housing.

Some shots with the FX-II:
Cozumel Dec 2023
G7X?

I have no experience with the TG6, but consider the Canon FX7-III. Compact point&shoot, 1" sensor, RAW, fully manual, quality housings available (I recommend the Fantasea with vacuum check).

Native macro might not be as great as the TG6, but external (wet) 67mm macro & wide-angle lenses are easily available for the housing.

Some shots with the FX-II:
Cozumel Dec 2023
I am currently diving with a Sony RX 100 in a Nauticam housing. I am not happy with the macro shots I am getting even with a sea&sea +10 diopter. Working range is very limited. I have had this camera for 10 years, and trying to decide if i could make thr TG-6/7 work or will the lack of manual control drive me nuts.... I do everything in manual mode, above and below the surface.

My quick summary of compacts:

Olympus TG6 /7 - Macro and microscope mode for macro is great even with the small sensor and basically two f-stop choices. Certain strobes like AOI Q1 RC and Backscatter MF-2 can do RC controlled flash which is super accurate automatically. Can capture decent WA shots in good light. Easy set up with several videos out there help minimize menu confusion.

Sony RX100 V, VA, even VI / VII - 20 megapixel 1" sensor with great autofocus, all TTL flash (no manual flash choice to conserve battery power) but most small strobes pair well for very good flash control. Macro challenging even with diopters but good wide angle lens options make this choice a good one. Menus can be "challenging" but larger 1" sensor than Olympus TG-6-7 makes for better wide angle and medium fish shots in sharpness. Most models have great 4K video too.

Canon G7X (original if shooting JPEG as first G7X had really slow RAW processing improved on G7X II and III.) All original G7X, G7X II and G7X III have a 20 megapixel 1" sensor and fast 24-100mm f 1.8 - 2.8 lens producing nice images in macro, fish and wide angle. Some folks complain AF (autofocus) being contrast versus Sony's dual pixel AF is a little slower. In real world shooting it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be. Flash control choice of AUTO (TTL) which pairs great with any S-TTL (Slave TTL automatic flash) plus can do manual flash at low power to conserve battery if one chooses to set flash units manually. Easiest menus to learn and use. Also has best white balance for ambient light shooting color balance. Most housings have 67mm threads for adding SUPER macro lenses or a variety of wide angle options from low cost to expensive depending on housing.

I am biased as a lazy traveling warm water diver. I sold all my remaining SLR gear in 2016 and switched to compact shooting since then.

Recently I even leave behind tray, arms, etc. and only shoot one strobe (currently Inon S220) mounted on my Fantasea housing's cold shoe. Coverage is fine for me and set up and diving with a small rig is a breeze but that's my taste after diving 55 years.

As I frequently comment shoot whatever you want but I advise folks don't go with too much. Especially early on or even if wanting to downsize which I do recommend........

You can make great photos with a lot less gear these days :)

David Haas

IMG_4162.jpegIMG_4554.jpegIMG_5099.jpegIMG_5182.jpegIMG_5525.jpeg

Last batch and my simple set up I used for all these pics :)

I also added a photo of my Fantasea "Air Lens" angling the one strobe up a bit works fine and even bounces backscatter away from the port / lens a bit.

I'm actually looking at this Inon YS Extension Bar that would raise my strobe just a teensy bit more without making the set up any bulkier: Inon - Rotatable YS Extension Bar

If I get one before leaving for Maldives 1/31 will give it a try and report back :)

tempImage0zw5KL.png FantaseaHousingAirLens.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5180.jpeg
    IMG_5180.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5263.jpeg
    IMG_5263.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5498.jpeg
    IMG_5498.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 43
My quick summary of compacts:

Olympus TG6 /7 - Macro and microscope mode for macro is great even with the small sensor and basically two f-stop choices. Certain strobes like AOI Q1 RC and Backscatter MF-2 can do RC controlled flash which is super accurate automatically. Can capture decent WA shots in good light. Easy set up with several videos out there help minimize menu confusion.

Sony RX100 V, VA, even VI / VII - 20 megapixel 1" sensor with great autofocus, all TTL flash (no manual flash choice to conserve battery power) but most small strobes pair well for very good flash control. Macro challenging even with diopters but good wide angle lens options make this choice a good one. Menus can be "challenging" but larger 1" sensor than Olympus TG-6-7 makes for better wide angle and medium fish shots in sharpness. Most models have great 4K video too.

Canon G7X (original if shooting JPEG as first G7X had really slow RAW processing improved on G7X II and III.) All original G7X, G7X II and G7X III have a 20 megapixel 1" sensor and fast 24-100mm f 1.8 - 2.8 lens and 1" producing nice images in macro, fish and wide angle. Some folks complain AF (autofocus) being contrast versus Sony's dual pixel AF is a little slower but in practice not as big a deal as some make it out to be. Flash control choice of AUTO (TTL) which pairs great with any S-TTL (Slave TTL automatic flash) plus can do manual flash at low power to conserve battery if one chooses to set flash units manually. Easiest menus to learn and use. Also has best white balance for ambient light shooting color balance. Most housings have 67mm threads for adding SUPER macro lenses or a variety of wide angle options from low cost to expensive depending on housing.

I am biased as a lazy traveling warm water diver. I sold all my remaining SLR gear in 2016 and switched to compact shooting only since then. Recently I even leave behind tray, arms, etc. and only shoot one strobe (currently Inon S220) mounted on my Fantasea housing's cold shoe. Coverage is fine for me and set up and diving with a small rig is a breeze, but that's my taste after diving 55 years.

As I frequently comment shoot whatever you want but I advise folks don't go with too much especially early on or even if wanting to downsize.

You can make great photos with a lot less gear these days :)

David Haas

View attachment 820842View attachment 820843View attachment 820844View attachment 820845View attachment 820846
So, what are you diving with these days? Is this the TG-6?

Settled on the Canon G7X II, Fantasea housing and Inon S220 strobe. Canon menus are more understandable to me as I shot Canon DSLRs for many years.

IMG_0033.jpegIMG_0529.jpegIMG_0609.jpegIMG_9933.jpeg

Attachments

• Crinoid Shrimp.JPG
    Crinoid Shrimp.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 43
  • cuttlefish.JPG
    cuttlefish.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Nudibranch.JPG
    Nudibranch.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Ornate Ghost PIpefish.JPG