Question Anyone have experience with Dive Rite Slide Lock 2 reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone used this? Any thoughts? I'm looking for a reel for wreck use (mostly for open debris fields, much less for penetration).

Anyone have any ohter recommendations?

Has anyone used this? Any thoughts? I'm looking for a reel for wreck use (mostly for open debris fields, much less for penetration).

Anyone have any ohter recommendations?
Dammit! Now that I’m aware the Dive Rite Slide Lock 2 exists I want yet another reel.
It looks like they have remedied many of my complaints about the original slide lock reel.

I haven’t used this reel but I do have the two reels that seem to have mated and birthed it.

Pros:
1. It appears as if (though I can’t confirm from the pictures) that the knob is affixed to the reel with a screw (like the azimuth) as opposed to a glued plastic peg on the original. Which is known, at least to me, to fail and leave the knob in some random nook on a dive boat or possibly at the bottom of a lake or the ocean.

2. The slide lock appears to be better protected from accidental disengagement. Which could prevent an errant bump while it’s clipped off from resulting in a tangle of line being played out behind you as you go about your dive.

3. The slide stops look more robust and would provide a more positive stop vs having some play when the old style was locked.

Some critiques that I have with the azimuth handle, that this reel shares, are:
1. The holes for the bolt snap would benefit from be chamfered which would make it even more resistant to allowing the bolt snap from becoming unclipped.

2. The bump in the center of the handle on the side of the reel makes it awfully uncomfortable if you try to insert your hand into the handle, versus just holding the handle with the palm of the hand on the outside and fingers in the handle.

In all it seems that it would be a solid piece of kit.

I have been playing with it for a few weeks. I like it. Much like the original slidelock, I still find it awkward in dry gloves, but it is great with bare hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom