Anyone have the Sherwood PC interface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevjl2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wanting to know if anyone has invested in the PC interface for the wisdom and if it is worth the money? If so, where is the cheapest place to buy it. Thanks Kevin

Mine is still on order (2 weeks now). It has supposedly been available since the end of August, but we'll see.

I have had mine a few weeks now and have down loaded a couple times.

It installed on my XP system with no problems - a first for me with down load kits. The plug in interface is great. It is fast and reliable and I greatly prefer it over infared interfaces.

The program itself is ok by dive computer standards but is a little limited according to the rest of the world's standards for software and offers no real improvements over older downloadable computers.

Given how long it took them to get it in production I expected more. It is a little better than my Matrix Master software with some detail improvements but is not what I expected, particularly with an AI computer.

What I did not see were neat things like average depth for the dive or a running data log on tank pressure versus time - just start and end pressures. Average depth would have allowed interesting things like figuring actual air consumption over the whole dive and if you had the data points for tank pressure as well you could figure air consumption for each phase of the dive. Those would be neat tools both for planning and to see how the developed compared to the plan.

It does offer a dive details page with 60, 30 or 15 second intervals so you can figure out average depth manually. But it is tedious and tedious tasks are where computers excel so I am not impressed that this capability was not included.

So in short the interface is superb, but the software is mediocre and I could have done as good a job on my own.

Does the interface connect via serial or USB?

If it's as limited in functionality as you hint, I might have to do what I've done before (for a lame GPS device): hook in a protocol analyzer, figure out the communications, and write my own PC app.

It has a USB interface.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll hold off and wait to see if any other improvements will be comin round the corner. I was hoping it did some of the funs stuff as well but.........Thx Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom