Anyone know info good snorkeling in south Florida and Manatees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember guys , it's all about the temp. It's been a pretty long warm spell. You're more likely to see more people than manatees at the springs. They're out all over the bay and even some starting down river. It's spring break starting now and the holiday weekend. People will out number manatees till everything gets back to normal. It's been a good winter for them this year. They needed a break from the winter we had last year. Plenty of warm spells to get farther from the springs to forage. The beginning of the winter looked like less total forage over the bay than the start of last winter. Should be a more normal mortality this year.

I was in Crystal River for the Manatees last weekend and there weren't a lot of boats in the springs (3 boats at the one we were in, which wasn't the "main" spring.) but it was full of manatees! Every person in the water had a baby or 2 to themselves that were playful and there were many more adults in the no touch zone that we could observe.

Sontek - just curious, did you go out with Birds Underwater? If so, I'm guessing maybe they took you to Three Sisters spring??

Bamaskubacat, You are correct we went to Three Sisters with Birds Underwater... Great operation!

I am thinking about diving the Crystal river area in mid summer and could use recommendations for the best dive sites, kayak rentals and dive shops in the area. I would also like to know where the best places to put in a kayak close to the sites I am going to dive. I use a minimum of equipment as I do not like to haul a lot of stuff on a plane and I am only looking to make shallow water dives. It would be a huge help to find a shop that can rent me a 30 or 40 cu/ft tank.

richkeller, for the Crystal River area definitely check with Bird's Underwater. I'm pretty sure they rent kayaks as well as all your scuba gear and can tell you all the best places to go.

Back
Top Bottom