Anyone tried the RX100 III+ Underwater Auto white balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I just got an old RX100 III's firmware updated to 2.0 and noticed there is a White balance mode called Underwater Auto. I can't find any reports on its performance here, but Sony's website indicates it automatically adjusts the white balance for underwater shooting. I want to test it ahead of time to ensure its peformance before I set it as one of my ambient light preset. The only simulation I can do is point the camera at a very blue underwater image, but the Underwater Auto seemed to have very little effect, less than if I set the WB to 9900k.

Anyone used it for ambient light shots? I usually have the 9900k WB as a preset for big or pelagic creature picture or videos where strobes or video lights are not powerful enough to reach

Are you shooting JPEG+RAW?

I'd give it a shot and if you don't like the original WB, you can always use the RAW file.

Are you shooting JPEG+RAW?

I'd give it a shot and if you don't like the original WB, you can always use the RAW file.
I shoot JPEG, that's why I want to correct the color as much as possible during shooting. There could be hundreds of pictures and videos to color correct from a trip, along with removing backscatters and fixing the lighting, I could spend countless hours fixing my pictures, which I don't want to fall into the trap of doing.

I guess I will find out on my trip, probably dedicating 2 different memory recall settings, one for custom WB and the other to UW auto, so I can switch back and forth in quick succession for the same shot.

Just shoot RAW. You can edit (white balance, color correction, exposure correction, sharpening, etc) one picture from a dive, and apply its settings to a bunch of other photos taken under similar circumstances, up to and including multiple dives at a time. Working with Capture One Express (no longer available, but I can share the installation file for version 11 that still works and should support your RX100M3), it takes me literally minutes to go through 50-100 photos from a dive.

I heard that Sony did not really fix the custom white balance until the VI and VII? Even then it only seems to be acurate to about 34 ft then desaturates? I used to use a filter with a V and did not get good results from the uw auto white balance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom