anyone using a Aqualung with the i3 system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my i3. Have over 60 dives on it and absolutely love it. You'll hear lots of comments about a solution looking for a problem, it being overly complicated, etc. These folks are probably posting to Scubaboard from their slide rules. Dive what you like because you like it...

Your comment is very rude. The fact that people who dive in the most extreme situations do NOT use an i3 should tell you something. The fact that if you decide that you want to go into technical diving and need to buy a new BC should also tell you something.

Your comment is very rude. The fact that people who dive in the most extreme situations do NOT use an i3 should tell you something. The fact that if you decide that you want to go into technical diving and need to buy a new BC should also tell you something.

Why is it rude? I think your comment is way off base. Your advice is based on the less than 1% of scuba divers that actually go into tech diving. Therefore all divers should forget about bcd's, and Aqua Lung is stupid for having the i3 because you someday might go into tech? :rofl3:

Good one.

I think he meant the slide rule part more as sarcasm that a slight at people using different gear. At least that's how I took it...

People who use introductory jacket style BCD's probably would have a heck of a time migrating to a tech setup with those BCD's and would most likely need to buy a new one...does that mean those models aren't good (as it seems you are suggesting of the i3) because they would have to buy a new setup to tech dive?

I'm not trying to start or engage in an argument, just pointing out things I notice. :)

I use the dimension i3; as long as you don't plan to spend a lot of time upright on the surface, I much prefer the back inflate for stability and the lack of pressing on you when it is inflated. (On the other hand, I'm sure someone out there likes that, to get a feel for the fact that it is inflated.) Like HowardE says, it dumps air quicker than the hose or dump valves on BCs I've used in the past. At the same time, there is a lot of lever motion to get to the full dump so you can let out just a little air by just pushing it a little. And as far as reliability/overcomplication, I rely on what I imagine is the same sort of lever technology every time I ride my bike, to operate the brakes and gear shifts. And those work quite well.

and it dumps air fine, no matter what position?
I wouldn't go so far as to say "ANY" position... If you're rolled on your right side, the air will still be away from the valves. But head, tail up, or trimmed, just a slight roll to the left will put one or both valves at the top of the air to release it.

Sure, it tells you two things.

1. The i3 system is, at present, only available on rec BCs. (And likely will remain that way due to lack of demand, and a different style of BC, and the fact that sidemount tanks would likely get in the way.)
2. That there is a lot of rec gear that isn't suitable for tec diving. But, that's hardly unique to the i3 BCs. Most rec BCs probably fall into that category, as do most rec dive computers, some regs, etc.

What you're saying is like saying "The people who do ice diving don't use 3mm wetsuits, so that should tell you tropical divers something."

If I get into tec diving I'll obviously get a new BC at that point, but that doesn't mean I'd get rid of the i3. It's still a great rec BC, so no reason not to use it for that.

(answering for the umpteeth time to up my post count)

My Aqualung i3 is especially suited for cold (freezing) diving, as it can stretch / size up really well.

My GF loves her woman's model.

When I travel South to warm waters I use a much smaller & compact Zeagle stiletto.

This topic has been beaten so, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the Search function...!

I use the Axiom i3 and absolutely LOVE it!!!! Super comfy and really easy to use (and more streamlined of course!) As far as doubles go, i'd say it's doable because it has the necessary D-rings for doing side mount, but that's it.... no double manifolds

My comment wasn't intended to be rude, though it was possibly a bit smart ass. The folks that usually have negative things to say about the i3 and other different / non tech versions of Rec equipment tend to use the same argument... It's not Tec, so its not correct, or it has to many moving parts, the simple power inflator is good enough. Usually with the thought being that the least complicated something is, the better. This might be true of long, deep tec or cave dives where excess task loading in the case of equipment failure could be fatal, but in normal rec diving, has little to no impact.

My smart ass comment was aimed along the lines of "the cheap power inflator works fine, why replace what works." IE, a slide rule worked fine as well, but those folks have embraced advances in technology and are now using computers. And before the argument that technological developments in diving aren't quite the same, I am sure the old heads discussed the single hose vs double hose second stages, horse collar vs BC, etc.

Again, it was meant to be funny.

---------- Post Merged at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:23 PM ----------

By the way, I dive the Dimension with Airsource 3 rather than the manual inflate tube. I have added a crotch strap which really locked the whole thing down.

By the way, I dive the Dimension with Airsource 3 rather than the manual inflate tube. I have added a crotch strap which really locked the whole thing down.
Any tips on how you did that? I was thinking of adding a crotch strap to my Dimension, and my wife wanted to do so to her Lotus.

Back
Top Bottom