? Anyone Using Travel Insurance & Actual Cancellation Claim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP has a specific need related to a family member's health and if the family member is not an immediate family member it's going to be next to impossible to get coverage - an ailing parent for instance.

I had a "near miss" on a claim a few years ago and while talking to my Doctor a couple of things became pretty clear... Insurance companies don't "prefer" to make payouts on claims, so be prepared for a fight. As DD pointed out, the policy probably only covers those travelling and that are "named" on the policy, unless there is a clause that specifically covers your situation, whatever that is. Most policies will include some sort of bereavement clause, that would cover you of a specific relative passed away right before you were to travel.

Getting back to my Doctor, in my particular situation, I had developed the Mother of all Chest Colds right before a trip. What became clear is that my policy wasn't "can't go diving" insurance, it was "can't travel insurance". What was also pretty clear, is that my Doc was not about to falsify records to say that I was too sick to travel. That would amount to fraud...

Good luck!

I appreciate the help and feedback with this. My travel arrangements had some complications so I am just getting it all sewn up. A Travel Guard agent went through my concerns and tapered a policy for my needs. Focusing less on accidents and more on cancelation or interruption. It wasn’t much more to add the maximum value of lost luggage. She said my situation with my parents is covered. They do seem to be the best option at this point. Although I guess traveling in general is a risk.

Good recommendation. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom