anyone want the truth and science on inwater recompression? It's incredibly effective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 10:46 AM ----------

Pretty hard to do IWR with a DAN O2 kit. LMAO

Nice assumption.....LMAO, How about with the 2 "K" bottles of Divers Grade O2 that are on my boat at all times? Oh, and BTW - Im not the only boat equiped as such. And - for the record, Im not advocating - I still believe it isnt indicated most of the time, just saying that plenty of NE boats are equiped this way. I also recognize that there could be a situation that I personally consider it.....

Nice assumption.....LMAO, How about with the 2 "K" bottles of Divers Grade O2 that are on my boat at all times? Oh, and BTW - Im not the only boat equiped as such. And - for the record, Im not advocating - I still believe it isnt indicated most of the time, just saying that plenty of NE boats are equiped this way. I also recognize that there could be a situation that I personally consider it.....

Why do you have K-bottles of O2 on your boat?

Having done it in the right conditions, I would take that over the chamber. The big problem I see is the loss of temperature. Once you get cold, you are not going to be off gassing no matter what the mix. You will actually increase your risk of the bends. Here in the lakes you will get cold before you can decompress after an incident meaning your better off in a chamber. If you are in salt water, Devons advice should be taken into account.

1) On board compressor with stick
2) CGA 540 adapter to mount o2 clean 1st stage with 30 ft hose for deco or emergency o2.
3) Most efficient way to buy o2 (in bulk)

IP will be a little low with that setup due to the lack of depth compensation at the 1st stage.

Onboard compressors and nitrox sticks are nice though!

It's always been possible to conduct in water decompression, just not recommended due to logistics, hypothermia etc. Read Deco for Divers my Mark Powell, he explains it pretty well. There are tables and such for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, I think based on adhering to the tables, as well as other factors. The op pointed out that that isn't always done and still there is sucess. If possible I rather wait the 1st hour + of the 1-24 hours waiting period @ 40-60 FSW, get some relief and maybe shrink some bubbles before damage can result. Better to do all one can than just breath O2 and ache, IMO.

Last edited:
Nice assumption.....LMAO, How about with the 2 "K" bottles of Divers Grade O2 that are on my boat at all times? Oh, and BTW - Im not the only boat equiped as such.

An assumption based upon...

Also - on my boat, and any boat I have ever dove,...

You didn't dive on many other boats then, or many other locations away from home, huh?

Hardly fair to blame me for your minuscule sample size... :shakehead:

Conservatism is a great preventive but not a sure thing. People get undeserved hits, and people have taken hits while they were within the NDL's.
Food for thought; When I started my tec training my Instructor told me as you start diving at this level it is not a matter of if you take a hit its a matter of when you take a hit.

...and people have taken hits while they were within the NDL's.

Read again the DCS parameters given in the article/s for they type/nature of hit indicating potential IWR treatment....

...it is not a matter of if you take a hit its a matter of when you take a hit.

Aggressive technical diving might bring occasional 'niggles'... although many tech divers would say it shouldn't ever. Even so, again the DCS parameters for even just considering IWR don't fall within this scenario.

IWR isn't 'pop back down to pad your last stop depth for some extra O2 time because you got a bit of fizzy going on'.

Me personally, I would consider iwr if I felt the situation appropriate when weighing risk/benefit of a given scenario.

Would I ever teach a student to do so? The liability is staggering. To me it is similar to cave diving solo, I do it, a lot of others do it safely as well. However, no agency will ever offer a solo cave diving course just like they will never offer a "when to iwr".

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom