Anyone with an Aqualung Dimension i3 BC RECEIPT? HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a lawyer, but what you propose to do is committing a fraud. Beside making it public.' AL personnel are members and monitor SB, so I think you have shot yourself in the foot twice.

Over the course of the past year I've learned the importance of buying scuba gear new vs. used. Some stuff doesn't seem to matter quite as much but the computer, BC, and regs benefit from the warranty. Beginner's mistake I guess. Apart from getting nailed for buying this "POS", I've learned some valuable lessons.

Main thing I've learned is that when buying used gear, don't buy complicated stuff. The i3 takes a simple function and makes it complex. The more points of failure you have in used gear the more chances you have in being hosed (pun?). Most all regs are perfectly fine buying used. You're going to get them rebuilt prior to diving anyways just to be safe so what's the big deal? I was given a Conshelf 21 reg that I believe was purchased around '92 or '93 and wasn't used for about 10 years. I'm just waiting on a couple parts kits and I'm going to rebuild them. It's old, waaaaayyyyy out of any warranty that it might have had and was a mess. Cleaned up and rebuilt and it will be good as new, but it's a VERY simple piece of equipment. And yes, warranties are great to have, no arguing there. Just saying that if you ever come to the point where you are buying multiple regs, $700+ for a first and second stage (Atomic M1, Scubapro MK25/A700, etc..) gets expensive to buy new when you're buying 4 sets when you can find perfectly good ones used for $300. Either that, or I'm just one of the poor divers that picks up second hand when the rich folk upgrade =/

I'm probably less experienced than you, but from what I know, I would want a warranty on a computer (unless it was sold cheap enough to consider it disposable). But, for a decent quality BC or reg I wouldn't be concerned about a warranty.

I have bought a computer secondhand from a person who is actually a PADI Instructor (I found out after having done some research on him). The depth sensor on it was dead. He never responded to my emails or texts.

The Aqualung BCD that I bought looked great and was in seemingly great condition. It looked new. That said, it now has some leaks apparently after less than 20 dives on it. That and one of the dump valves stuck open on me TWICE during two separate dives. The first one being a night dive where I dumped my weight to get back in. The second one being AFTER I had gotten it serviced by my LDS to "fix" the problem... Things aren't always as they appear, which is why I probably won't be buying another used BC. Having a piece of gear that is basically life support fail on you is not something that you want to have happen.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2015 at 12:28 PM ----------

Not a lawyer, but what you propose to do is committing a fraud. Beside making it public.' AL personnel are members and monitor SB, so I think you have shot yourself in the foot twice.

After some thought, I've decided to not pursue this route. First, I want to develop some character, and despite my disappointment with this BC, I need to take some responsibility for purchasing items secondhand. Second, I think that as much as I found the Dimension i3 to be comfortable, I can no longer rely on it as it has failed on me twice while diving. Finally, after many recommendations, I will most likely be moving on to a backplate/wing setup as it gives me a little more flexibility in the future, is user replaceable for many parts, and is a little more cost effective.

I will most likely be moving on to a backplate/wing setup as it gives me a little more flexibility in the future, is user replaceable for many parts, and is a little more cost effective.

Its a LOT more cost effective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom