AOI ports and + macro lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
HI Guys, I have just bought an AOI housing for my EM1 mk2 and looking at getting the AOI flat port AOI FLP-02P to hold the 60 macro and possibly a 67mm + diopter.

I've never used a diopter before and although I'm keen to get pics of smaller stuff I am missing ATM, I'm also concerned about loss of depth of field and quality.

Any ideas on adapter/ flip is also needed.

Any advice is welcome. regards to all

I have the same housing for my M1mkIII- you'll love it. As far as the port, I initially went with the FLP-06 as you can use the 14-42EZ if you ever decide to go with wet lenses, or add the 34mm extension ring and use either the 30mm or 60mm macro lenses. I never did bother with the 14-42 or wet lenses, and recently picked up the FLP-04 to use the 30 without an extension, or the 60 with the 24mm extension ring. Both of those are threaded for a diopter.

Speaking of- I used a mild diopter in the past, mostly with the 12-50 and 12-40 lenses. Even with those non macro lenses I found the diopter to be persnickety for me in the cold waters I dive. Your experience will vary, especially since you have way more divers under your weight belt than I do.

To go off on a bit of a tangent, are you thinking about a mini dome for wide stuff? You could get one for the 9-18, but it turns out that the 12-45f4 works great in a mini dome intended for the 8mm Oly fisheye if you add the 34mm extension. While you don't have either of those lenses, I thought I'd mention all this because it's a nice, compact 2 port solution from ultra wide, through normal tele, and into the various macros. I should say, you don't have those lenses yet; I believe I've helped you spend money in the past :wink:

Hi Furnari, I treat you with some care as you did cost me a lot of money but I'm grateful as I love the OM1.

I have the 4" dome for 9-18 but have only used the 60mm macro lens in it, a surprise to the dive guides!
The 34 extension ring is close to the price of the FLP-06 and can't see the use of my 30 being worth the money.

For sure if you want smaller stuff you should add a diopter. For base purposes, the 60 macro lens in the correct port will fill the frame with something that is like 18 mm across (3/4 inch). Adding the CMC-1 from Nautical gets you to something about 9 mm full frame. If you get a good quality diopter then image quality will be fine but remember that DOF goes like the 1.square of the magnification so 2 x mag means 1/4 DOF.
Get a good quality flip adapter Nautical or AOI.
Cheers
Bill

Thanks Bill, in your view it is worth adding the CMC-1? I am being shown very small stuff in bali in the sub 8mm area and apart from struggling to see them the shots need serious cropping to get an idea of what I was being shown.

I use that combo a lot. Here is a little Cyerce (probably 6-7 mm long) from Bali last week. Shot with the 60 and the CMC-1.

Attachments

• cyerce.jpg
    cyerce.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 52
I see what you mean Bill. Much cropping in that image?

I was in LDR for 3 days and left on the 31st Oct. Where did you stay?

Not much cropping, only to a printable ratio. Otherwise it is full scale.
We stay at Villa Markisa, a great place
BVA

A diopter is a very useful tool to your macro arsenal. But as pointed out, your DOF will change! I use a +5 and the DOF is paper thin. I use a flip adapter on my flat port, works out very well.

I have been looking at a Dyron +7 anyone had any experience with these? I suspect +7 is too strong for a 60mm macro lens, am i right?

Also is there any advantage of a flip adapter over a swing one?

Back
Top Bottom