AOW accepted over Master Diver ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm SDI and I thought the same as someone else... why would the dive shop owner not think "cha ching " at that question. My dive shop owner has always been big on opinion and his experiance, but without an explanation(sp?) Example: I was looking at a retractor to hook my dive light up to ... and asked is there some kind of guarentee(sp?) on these and he looks at me and says "yea .. it's guarented(sp?) until it breaks" I said " hey yea thanks for that information, that really helps me make a decision" Then, after me being a smart ass back he says I use the other model right next to it. Which I bought and am very happy with:)
SDI Master diver = AOW + cprox1st and AED+ Rescue Diver

Tom

As far as I can tell (but I haven't looked at all the different agencies) a Master Diver is just an AOW with 50 dives. I think PADI charges something like $50 for the card. So you can save $50 and just show someone your log book.

This is different from a Dive Master. I believe Dive Master is vastly different from agency to agency.

Reminds me of something amusing that happened a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine told a guy friend of hers that I was really into scuba diving, so he puffed out his chest and told me proudly that he was a "master diver." Cool. So I, innocently curious, asked which specialty classes he'd taken. He replied, "All of them!" Alarm bells going off, eyebrows raised, I responded, "Oh really? Well if you were THAT into it, why didn't you take the divemaster class?"

"That's what I said, I'm a master diver."

"No....the divemaster class. You know, PADI entry level pro."

"Yeah, that! master diver, divemaster, same thing."

Busted.

Hellohello, I've heard that some charters Require you to be Advanced certed to dive thier ops...

What I am wondering is has anyone ever heard of someone with a Master Diver cert (but no AOW) has ever been denied on a charter boat.

Given the requirements for the NAUI Master DIver I would certainly hope they would not refuse the Master Diver "C" card since the AOW is a prerequisite to the NAUI Master Diver certification.

All NAUI ledership candidates (Dive Master AI, Instructor etc.) are required to pass the NAUI Master Diver exam. This includes those already holding a Dive Master certification from other agenices.

As far as I can tell (but I haven't looked at all the different agencies) a Master Diver is just an AOW with 50 dives. I think PADI charges something like $50 for the card. So you can save $50 and just show someone your log book.

This is different from a Dive Master. I believe Dive Master is vastly different from agency to agency.

Actually this isn't quite accurate. PADI AOW only requires ONE dive from each of 5 different specialties, whereas the full blown specialty rating can require up to 4 dives. One mandatory dive for AOW is a deep dive, below 60 feet, but the full Deep Dive specialty requires 4 dives, to a maximum depth of 130 feet on the last dive, with a couple of tasks thrown in at that depth. So, a Master Diver has obtained 5 full specialty ratings, which is quite a bit more than an AOW diver is required to have.
I have the required number of specialty cards for the Master Diver rating, but I think the individual card for each specialty might mean more to a dive operator in a specific circumstance than a Master Diver, so I never bothered applying for the Master Dive card. Also, since I am a Dive Master it would be pretty much irrevelant anyway.

If believe if one is a Master Diver, that person has dove from a boat before and knows how to do safety stops and reach the hangline if needed.

the full Deep Dive specialty requires 4 dives, to a maximum depth of 130 feet on the last dive

I believe that's the deepest the dive can be. It can be shallower. I want to say 100', but I can't remember.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom