AOW as an experienced diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last night, Thursday, we finished the Nitrox class. The class ran over again and for the same reason, people coming unprepared, not being able to use the tables. The instructor went over them last week offered exercises for the tables yet still time is spend going over the same ground. I was late for work. Luckily they make a big deal out of how they like to help employees balance life and work. I told them this was part of that balance and I need their support. I think the school teacher and her husband is going to take me out on their boat so I can show them some diving sites. Sounds like fun!

So now I’m done certified PADI AOW and PADI Nitrox 40EAN. BoulderJohn, my instructor gave me an offical PADI temporay card for AOW with my mug shot on it and a disclamer stating it's good for 90 days and to contact PADI if I haven't a receive my card by then. It's been a fun thread! Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.

That's news to me! I always issue temp cards for AOW.

We use the paper PICs and issue them also.

Bill

Last night, Thursday, we finished the Nitrox class. The class ran over again and for the same reason, people coming unprepared, not being able to use the tables.
At least you had tables, my class said : "Dont bother with tables, use computers" so when I asked well... where is my manual backup, the instructor tells me , dive computers.... again I asked -- where is the table...

In the end, I had to get tables from the Internet.

Are there actually charter operators that want to see your AOW card even though you have hundreds of dives in the same environment?

Are there actually charter operators that want to see your AOW card even though you have hundreds of dives in the same environment?

Yes, that was the only reason I took AOW.

Same reason here, just so a dive op can see it if asked.

What racket! Don't need a mask, all under the color of law.

LDS called my card is at the shop. That was quick!

Last edited:
well, as a Padi instructor I have to admit the the advanced training and performance requirements for the course is a joke. Example, deep dive, according to the standards I only need to take a student a bit deeper, does not need to be 30 m, and show him a slate with colours how they change underwater...and compare SPGs.....Its a shame!
When I was working for dive shops I was under pressure of time and mostly you had to combine fun divers and students on the same dive. No more scouting now. Together with my partner we teach people the way we like and we adapt the course to students needs, interest and experience. Example, when I teach advanced course while having experienced divers I do not teach them only things which are mentioned in guide to teaching for instructors. They finish the course swimming backwards with a perfect trim, they know how to make knots with no mask, they know how to use a deco tank for safety stop etc.... Moreover, I naver had even a one student who complained about being overhelmed on the course......
To sum it up, its all about instructors and their passion for teaching.
I worked with a bunch of 18-19 years instructors.......99% of them hardly manage underwater......no skills, no style and of course nothing to offer to experienced divers......for me standards and requirements for being an instructor are too low....its a dream job but not for youngsters....
good luck on your further training man! rescue?
make sure that your instructor knows how to make a scenarios the way you learn something.....not only play a role in a theater....

Back
Top Bottom