AOW Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I'm convinced I just signed up to take my AOW course in February with Caicos Adventures in Provodenciales. I'll let you know how it goes.

After reading all of your posts, I might take advantage of my next vacation to get my AOW. Since I'll be diving anyway, I think I'll see how much it will cost for the certification. Good advise.

sharkman
:guitar:

Just for your info. I hooked up with Caicos Adventures in Provodenciales for the AOW course. It cost $350.00 for the two day five tank course (a bit pricey but worth it when you consider the op and location). Your are guaranteed a private instructor. They do three tanks in West Caicos or French Cay every Thursday. The diving is awesome and I am looking forward to the big walls again. Check out their website ( www.caicosadventures.com ) . They use a huge power cat for a dive boat. It is brand new and makes for an unbelievable experience.

I, personally, would go for the AOW . That is where I got away from some of the basics they teach you just to get you by and get into the nitty gritty of bouyancy, etc.
As already stated, it also opens up the opportunity to do deep diving, night diving and in my case, the stress and rescue.
I know on the trip I did, I would not have been able to even do the night dive without the advanced card.

I have never had a problem getting on a dive boat without an AOW card.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
I have never had a problem getting on a dive boat without an AOW card.

If you come to Australia you will not be able to dive below 60Ft on your BOW card

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...

If you come to Australia you will not be able to dive below 60Ft on your BOW card

It's the same in the U.S. but how do you enforce it?

I couldn't believe one time before a Yukon dive in 100 ft of water with strong surge and 10 foot visibility. I overheard two divers on the boat saying they were excited about getting back in the water after "all these years". I asked them about their experience they said they haven't dove since they were certified. I nearly fell backwards off the boat!

No one polices this stuff, if people want to kill themselves they're permitted. Suicide is considered a crime here but I've never understood how they figure to punish a successful suicide victim. Also you can fly at any age, a few years ago the parents of an 8 year old let her fly solo across country - perhaps you heard the sad story of her death. Yeah we got ourselves some real doozies here ...

I've always appreciated a dive op that takes the time to actually look at your dive book before letting you dive. Unfortunately its only happened three times in 81 dives. Aldora in Cozumel, Caicos Adventures in Provodenciales and Little Cayman Beach Resort. Coincidentally those were the three best dive ops I have ever been on.

I did my AOW while on vacation. Nothing like having your own Instructor show you some of the best sites while working on your skills. Most of what was in the course wasn't new to me, but I had someone to look at what I was doing and suggest fine tuning.

BTW check and see if the course cost includes the book and final card cost. In Mexico it was extra. Cheaper to get the book in the US then in Cozumel. Plus you can read while on the plane rather then sitting up late at night reading like I did.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

It's the same in the U.S. but how do you enforce it?

If you dont show your AOW C card as you get on the boat for a +65ft dive, you just dont get on the boat

Back
Top Bottom