AOW Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may be the way it is in Sydney but I repeat that I have never had to show an AOW card anywhere in the Caribbean.

While at a dive resort a few months back, there was a group of trainees doing what I thought was Rescue Diver stuff. When approached, they said that they were Open Water trainees, aiming for that NAUI c-card.

If I can turn back the clock and relook at agencies, I would have done the NAUI instead of PADI.

Back to your question about AOWD. My aim for taking this is for the night dive, another world of it's own within the seas. A quick calculations shows that the cost & time difference in doing the AOWD & Night Dive speciality insist that great, hence I go for it. Deep diving elective sounds sexy, but most of the time, I get to see more things at 18 - 20 m than anything else.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I also agree with the earlier post. In a perfect world, rescue would be taught as part of OW. In a less than perfect world, more rescue skills would be taught in OW and the balance would come before AOW. After all, I really don't see anything in AOW as an absolute prerequisite to rescue.

When I was in the Florida Keys earlier this year, one dive operator would not let me go below 60 ft without AOW... so I'm getting AOW on my next diving trip (coming up in 4 days!).

Snoopy once bubbled...
While at a dive resort a few months back, there was a group of trainees doing what I thought was Rescue Diver stuff. When approached, they said that they were Open Water trainees, aiming for that NAUI c-card.

If I can turn back the clock and relook at agencies, I would have done the NAUI instead of PADI.

Yep, NAUI does a pretty good job. Not absolutely perfect, but very good.

An AOW card will help you get on some of the more advanced charters but, so will a lot of varied diving experience in your logbook. (A lot of times they never ask to see a card. I have never been "carded".)

One of my buddies wanted to take an Advanced Class recently. The class was kind of expensive for him, and would have really tied up his money for a while. I told him that he would be a much better diver if he just went with me on a bunch of dives. Sure, he would not have a AOW card but, he would have a ton of training and a logbook full of experience...much more valuable than a piece of plastic.

I don't think AOW cards really mean all that much. The reason why I say that is I can't really tell a difference between those with one, and those without.

There are like 20 boats (6 packs included) that moor on the Yukon in San Diego. You pay your 50 bucks and go kill yourself. They really don't care, they never ask experience, check log books, certification nothing - you sign the waiver and drown.

Back
Top Bottom