AOW costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kawika once bubbled...
I see...so you make 5 specialty dives to qualify for the AOW course...but in order to get the additional specialty pokemon cards :wink: we have to pay the additional $50 or so per specialty class as well? I noticed in their advertisement that they are also offering the following:

PADI Specialty Courses Deep, night, wreck, multi-level, naturalist, search and recovery, equipment, peak buoyancy, MFA, Nitrox $150

Do you think that this would be an all inclusive cost for all the listed specialties or an individual price? My guess would be an individual price per specialty since the Nitrox course normally goes for $150 or so on its own.

AOW actually requires 5 "adventure dives", which must include 1 deep and 1 nav dive. EANx does not count, I believe. To then get a specialty you must do 4 dives in 1 area, of which 1 dive from your AOW can count. So, if you do 4 nav dives, you have a nav specialty (plus extra book, more training, etc.) Then, 5 specialties make you a Master Diver.

For those that prefer you can get into a rescue class without having done AOW based on experience.

All this talk about the class being too much because of those who say their class wasn't so good. Why don't some of you put some effort into finding a good instructor? Then maybe you'll feel better about the money you spend.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
For those that prefer you can get into a rescue class without having done AOW based on experience.

All this talk about the class being too much because of those who say their class wasn't so good. Why don't some of you put some effort into finding a good instructor? Then maybe you'll feel better about the money you spend.

And because I didn't have the time to fly to Indiana. :wink:

boomx5 once bubbled...

And because I didn't have the time to fly to Indiana. :wink:

Thanks but...there must be at least one on your side of the Mississippi.

If it makes you feel better, the AOW I took wasn't worth 25 cents. If I had it to do over, I would take OW, dive like crazy (which I did) and then work my way from cavern to cave and Advanced Nitrox...trimix. I would skip everything inbetween.

Take a look at this location. Maui Diving. I got my OW there, and am considering returning for my AOW. They are in Lahiana on Maui.

You may want to check out page 2 of this thread for some testimonials Old Thread with discussion about Maui Diving

I am not affiliated in any way with this LDS, I just had an excellent experience and they deserve the WOM advertising...

RJ

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
If I had it to do over, I would take OW, dive like crazy (which I did) and then work my way from cavern to cave and Advanced Nitrox...trimix. I would skip everything inbetween.

Right now I'm working my way towards Tech1, with a whole bunch of dives in between.

My Current LDS has AOW for $255 including dives, which seems on par for NAUI AOW courses and Nitrox is only $99, but that doesn't include dives.

For my NAUI AOW I paid $135. It covered..........

Book's
Gear
AIR
Transportation
Classroom Instruction

Looks like the best deal so far. But there are 35 dive sites within a 30 minute drive, and he always has full classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom