AOW: Different meaning for different agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, so now I'm confused. From what I understand (and please correct me if i'm wrong) SSI's AOW certification includes taking 4 specialty classes. As in, taking the entire class for each specialty in order to qualify as AOW.

Now, PADI's AOW is supposedly an "introduction" to the specialties, where you don't actually take the classes for each course?

Someone let me know if i've got this straight, or mixed up. Reason i'm asking is because i'm OW certified by SSI, and I don't really care who i go with to get my AOW, but in the future i want to pursue my DM, and I'd hate to have to take the same program over again because both are completely different.

PADI AOW , is nothing other than 5 dives

DawgDiver:
Ok, so now I'm confused. From what I understand (and please correct me if i'm wrong) SSI's AOW certification includes taking 4 specialty classes. As in, taking the entire class for each specialty in order to qualify as AOW.

Now, PADI's AOW is supposedly an "introduction" to the specialties, where you don't actually take the classes for each course?

Someone let me know if i've got this straight, or mixed up. Reason i'm asking is because i'm OW certified by SSI, and I don't really care who i go with to get my AOW, but in the future i want to pursue my DM, and I'd hate to have to take the same program over again because both are completely different.

You are correct on SSI's AOW needing 4 specialties. Plus you also need 24 logged dives. Now the specialty dives count towards your 24 dives.

Padi's AOW is minimum 5 dives. If you want your Master Diver card you will have to complete 5 specialties.

You want to pursue your DM with PADI or DiveCon with SSI, as long as you have the requirements for either agency, you shouldn't have a problem. You'll want to consider which agency to go with if you plan on working locally and abroad. PADI is more worldwide and you can work independently. SSI you have to work for a LDS.

Hope this helps.

Interesting about SSI and their requirements for AOW. The requirements are somewhat similar to NAUI's Master Diver program.

Diveman is correct about considering which agency to go with for DM training. If you intend on working abroad you will need PADI. If you only plan on working / DM'ing through your shop then SSI may suit you well.

Salaam

verybaddiver:
PADI AOW , is nothing other than 5 dives

As an entry requirement to the rescue class, and eventually divemaster/instructor training, both SSI and PADI require advanced OW. They will honor each other's AOW.

SSI has different requirement from PADI - specialty in 4 or 5 areas - before you earn your AOW. Whereas, PADI's AOW can be taken immediately after OW, and introduces the diver to underwater navigation, night diving, and deep diving (between 60 to 90 ft).

PADI uses a standard text - and introduces the diver to the mandatory 3 dives (navigation, deep, and night).

My personal feeling is - doesn't matter how you chop it - what you gain from SSI or PADI AOW is the minimum required to be comfortable in diving. To say it is nothing other than 5 dives is simply wrong.

It is very likely that the traditional OW of NAUI, and perhaps the YMCA encompasses the skills learned in PADI or SSI OW plus AOW. But very few divers certified by either PADI or SSI will go back and take these programs offered by the Y or NAUI.

NAUI has what they call a master diver program, which has very tough physical and diving skill requirements. If this is what you want, certainly, you can look into it.

Ok, so let's say I went with SSI and got my DiveCon. If later I wanted to get certified as a PADI DM for versatility purposes, would i just have to take the PADI DM course or would i have to take all their specialties?

Seems to me like the SSI program is better and more thorough training, but the PADI DM offers the individual a little more flexibility with what you can do with it.

DawgDiver:
Ok, so let's say I went with SSI and got my DiveCon. If later I wanted to get certified as a PADI DM for versatility purposes, would i just have to take the PADI DM course or would i have to take all their specialties? Seems to me like the SSI program is better and more thorough training, but the PADI DM offers the individual a little more flexibility with what you can do with it.

I believe that they are freely interchangeable.. As long as one specialty is recognized by the other. I mean, if PADI has underwater weaving, and SSI does not, you can not count it toward your DM in SSI.

If later I wanted to get certified as a PADI DM for versatility purposes, would i just have to take the PADI DM course or would i have to take all their specialties?

There really isn't a "crossover" program for DM offered by PADI or NAUI. I would have to review my PADI and NAUI standards, but I would say you would have to take the DM course. What I would recommend (that's if you want SSI DM) is to take SSI and (whatever agency) DM course at the same time. Not all shop's offer this. I was lucky, the shop I was with required students who were taking their rescue or DM course to certify with both PADI and NAUI. This saved me from hassles later on.

Salaam

Chris

Ok, so let's say I went with SSI and got my DiveCon. If later I wanted to get certified as a PADI DM for versatility purposes, would i just have to take the PADI DM course or would i have to take all their specialties?

The other posters are essentially correct.

If you have your SSI DiveCon, you should have no problem enrolling in a PADI Divemaster course since, according to the PADI Divemaster Course Instructor Guide, they accept “a qualifying certification from another training organization” for Advanced and Rescue.

No specialties are required for PADI DM.

edit: Another option with SSI Divecon card in hand is to enroll in either the PADI Assistant Instructor or Instructor Development Course, since PADI accepts “a leadership level certification with another recreational diver training organization”.

note: the AI course is the first portion of the IDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom