AOW Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
See, now I'd go the other way...I'd skip PPB. Those skills should be incorporated into EVERY dive you do on the Advanced Course anyway...they are skills you use on every dive. IMHO I'd do a different specialty on the AOW and work on my buoyancy on every dive. To me PPB is about as useful as Boat and I'd rather teach (and learn) it in "real" dives. YMMV
Yes and I'd like world peace and to save all the animals and all the hungry......

If you will be diving multilevel in future it's great. And it's kinda fun to figure out.

Naturalist is awesome IF your instructor gets out of the manual. Many things you will learn can be applied to a wide range of diving areas...

taylode:
Any comments on multilevel?
well - either do it all the way and really learn deco or since you're just getting started maybe just try the computer.

Also, your deep dive may very well be from a boat - the best of both worlds.

I look at the AOW as a class to work on new dive skills that were not necessarily covered in OW (Nav, S&R, Deep, Wreck, etc.) that make you a better skilled and safe diver and not a class to educate you about the flora and fauna. If you want that, there are specialty courses that would satisfy that need and in a more in-depth manner.

Definitely skip Boat, just take the time to read that chapter in your Advertures in Diving book and pay attention to the DM and the experienced divers on your next boat dive.

I was disappointed (massive understatement) with my PPB specialty class. If you do that one, make sure you learn useful skills like how to hover and have good trim (like a skydiver) and that you can hold a safety stop at 15' for 3 minutes without a downline to hold onto and can hover off the bottom and make small adjustments with your breathing.

scubajoe:
You should have a good time with the ones you selected. Boat diving in my opinion is a waste. Yes, I teach it. Think about it...how tough can it be. Usually a giant stride or backroll entry, nothing special. PPB should help you with your bouyancy control. Multi level/ computer would be good too.

Joe

I think boat is probably a good idea for some. First it would assume that one plans to do some doat diving in the not too distant future. I know in my case when I did a giant stride and the rolls into the pool in class I had to fight some real personal insticts to step off the edge (I'm no fun up on a roof either). So if I were going on a trip I'd love to get confortable with those skills before going out on some carribean cattle boat. The same holds true for getting familliar with doffing and passing gear up. None of it is rocket science (I think) but there's enough tricks I'm sure that being coached though it a few times would be well worth it.

If it's just jump in once, dive, climb out once I'd think less before burning a specialty. Going out with a boating friend or a small local charter with a seasoned buddy would probably be a good fallback assuming the buddy is the mentoring type.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom