AOW right after OWD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... and that's exactly the reason why I think people should NOT go directly from OW to AOW ... especially with a lengthy period of non-diving in between. Sure it lets you go to 130' ... but it doesn't do much to prepare you for diving that deep. It's all well and good unless something goes wrong ... in which case you're ill prepared to deal with it, in which case you'll either be relying on someone else to get you to the surface safely or we'll be reading about you in the Incidents and Accidents forum.

It's the RARE individual who's mentally ... much less physically ... prepared to go to 130' on their fifth dive ever ... especially after a 10-month interval between dives 4 and 5.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was actually worried about that but I was GTG as if my last dive was yesterday and I actually found that going deep did not affect me a bit. we actually had to go down quite rapidly because of the strong current that day. I was a bit nervous when I got in the water(before descending) but once I started my descent, it was all good and really exciting.
my 1st dive was suppose to be a drift dive at 60' but I guess they changed it without telling me. I only found out on the boat lol.
I would however not recommend that as you have pointed out that not everyone has the mental or physical strenght to do this.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 08:36 PM ----------

Sounds like someone needs a similar bumper sticker on their scuba tank. Anyone can go below 60'- the question is will you get back up? Will your buddy? Having 'no problems with buoyancy' is only a small part of surfacing safely after a dive to significant depth. They say "ignorance is bliss"...

I agree that this is not the standard and certainly not something that anyone should do.
But in my case, I knew exactly what I was doing. I was fully aware of my physical and mental abilities as was in control of what i needed to do.
I judged the current when I was going down and was always aware of my positioning and what I should do in case of emergency.

It's much more demanding mentally and physically (im my own opinion) to run a marathon or to just out of an airplane with a low opening fast canopy.

There are definitly a lot fo risks (certainly not comparable to a walk in the park) involved in diving. Knowing what the risks are and being able to mitigate them by remaining constantly aware and knowing your own limits is key.

I agree that this is not the standard and certainly not something that anyone should do.
But in my case, I knew exactly what I was doing. I was fully aware of my physical and mental abilities as was in control of what i needed to do.
I judged the current when I was going down and was always aware of my positioning and what I should do in case of emergency.

If you survive after driving a car at 100mph does that make you 'in control' of the car? There is an oft-quoted line about diving: You don't know what you don't know... and before you've spent at least 100hrs underwater, there's simply not enough time to be "fully aware".

If you survive after driving a car at 100mph does that make you 'in control' of the car? There is an oft-quoted line about diving: You don't know what you don't know... and before you've spent at least 100hrs underwater, there's simply not enough time to be "fully aware".

If you did it without issues and felt confident while doing it and can do it again without issue, then yes, you were 'in control' of the car.

Whether or not you can do it on a curved road or with rain/snow/ice/wind or survive a tire blowing on you or etc. is a different matter.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2013 at 12:01 AM ----------

Jumping in without reading and merely considering the topic....

Kind if ironic, considering you were the first to reply! :p

OK guys the problem that i can see is a simply one simply change the name of the course ! Advanced is the wrong name !!! we all agree that !
padi did change it to Adventure diver But from what i remember it was not well recieved through out the dive industry so it kind of fell back into be Advanced course there are people that will PUT ANOTHER DOLLAR IN for the card!! mabe there should be a progression of courses and yes PPB should become a core dive yes the log book should be taken into account aswell and mabe some course work should be tied into dive experience no.s and rewarded as such with the SSI system thats the way we see it BUT and it is a BIG BUT is its a business and so its a great Marketing tools weather we like it or not so it should be down to all persons involved and our GOOD jugdment over persons capabilities in the dive just a few of my thoughts sorry if i have offended anyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom