Apeks and bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the Apeks website:

We are pleased to introduce our new smaller ATX100 regulator.
Extremely efficient exhaust valve
Compact integrated exhaust

The exhaust T is smaller which means that your exhaust gas is released closer to the midline of your face. Depending upon your positioning in the water, this can mean a greater likelihood that the bubbles will float up in front of your face, in comparison to models with a larger T. If you swim horizontal, you will rarely notice a thing. Divers who walk instead of swim may suffer the consequences.

I don't understood the lust for the smaller T, it's a little lighter on land but the bit of improvement you get in bouyancy and drag isn't worth the effort. I own a couple ATX 100's and several TX50's and haven't found enough performance difference between the seconds to care about.

I read all the same ridiculous stuff about the Micra ADJ before I bought it. I have 30 logged dives with it, and have never once said to myself "I can't see through all these bubbles". If I have learned nothing else on this board, I now know that you will rarely, if ever, get the same opinion about anything from two different people. Buy the Apeks. Dive with it. Have fun.

I have an ATX100, I like a lot. The bubble interferance in a totally vertical position is minimal. You can barely see the bubbles on the outer corners of your mask, but it doesn't obscure your vision to the point where it bothers me. I think the reviewers tend to make a bigger deal of the bubble interferance than it really is.

I was told that the 2nd's or exactly the same it is only the 1st that are different in these models. I was also told that the 1st are the same for the 40 VS the 50 any input on this?

I have been a US divers / aqualung person , but am now inthe market for a new regulator and the Apeks seems to be the way I am leaning. The 50 is in my price range.. well not really but I'll manage :crafty:

Don't notice the bubbles at all w/ my ATX200 & ATX40. I do get a bit of "beanie inflation" when wearing one, and perhaps that could be reduced with a wider exhaust T, but I've never done the test.

Jim

I have a couple of the FSR/ATX 200 regulators, and have never had any problems whatsoever with bubble interference. I think though that it is hard to see the real necessity for Apeks (except maybe to "follow" the market trend) to change from the TX to ATX model second stages. I also have a double DS4/TX 50 setup and they are actually my favorite regs.

Anders

I've got both TX and ATX second stages amongst my gear assemblage (did I just invent a word???) and I don't have a preference for either. One is slightly smaller than the other, but not enough to really be noticable under water.

Orlando Eric:
I was told that the 2nd's or exactly the same it is only the 1st that are different in these models. I was also told that the 1st are the same for the 40 VS the 50 any input on this?
2nds:
The only difference between the AT20 and ATX40 is the heat exchanger at the hose connection.
The only difference between the ATX40 and ATX50 is the cracking force adjuster.
The only difference between the ATX50 and ATX200 is the chrome inner diaphragm cover.

1sts:
Unchanged from old series except for the ATX200 1st with it's addition of a replaceable HP crown.
40 and 50 generally come with the DST. The 20 comes with the UST or US4. DS4 is still available.

All overhaul kits are unchanged, though some replacement soft parts are obviously different (smaller diaphragm, exhaust tees)

Back
Top Bottom