Apeks Egress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'v owned & used an Egress for about 6 years now & done many hundreds of dives with it. For the last 4 years I'v used it with a long hose config. as my bungeed secondary 2nd stage when diving singles & occasionally as a deco reg. Works perfectly in these contexts, nice & flat on the chest, no right way up, nice breath at least down to 45mts. I'd really like to hear why you think the above.

For those that say they have free flow problems, it's not tuned properly. Have it de-tuned a little, & I mean a little. It will continue to breath easy & the free flows will be relegated to far & few between.

PS. I wouldn't give 3p for many reg teks out there.

Well, deerhunter dug up an old thread but that's OK. My thoughts on the subject haven't changed.

In the hogarthian system, the backup reg is bungeed under your chin on a 22" hose (I use twin fisherman's knots). The most important thing is that you can get to it instantly (my buddy can switch to his backup without his hands) and that you practice that as part of an s-drill (deploying the primary on the long hose). The most important thing is not that it lays flat or that there is no right way up or that its detuned. BTW, a correctly configured bungeed backup is always right side up and easy to switch to.

Now if you've invented some "Kernthian" system of your own, with your own preferences and priorities, using whatever gear you happen to have at hand, I don't know anything about that. Nor do I care. As long as we aren't dive buddies, you can dive however you like with whatever equipment configuration you want. For all I care you can use the Egress as your primary. :shrug:

Taking a fresh look at this, it does seem strange to have a top end Legend and then want an octo that wasn't diver adjustable and doesn't have a dive/predive level, so the octo needs to be detuned by a reg tech (to prevent the all-to-common free flows). Given that, I'm not surprised you hold many reg techs in low regard.

Back on topic, almost a year ago 3ddiver asked for input on buying an Egress. As a former owner, I thought he might appreciate some insight beyond the typical high-dollar reg owner with some sort of low cost, non-adjustable, detuned backup for his buddy. He was free to do whatever he wants with the advice. Who knows, if he's still around maybe he'll be the second person to adopt your "Kernthian" system?

Well, deerhunter dug up an old thread but that's OK. My thoughts on the subject haven't changed.

In the hogarthian system, the backup reg is bungeed under your chin on a 22" hose (I use twin fisherman's knots). The most important thing is that you can get to it instantly (my buddy can switch to his backup without his hands) and that you practice that as part of an s-drill (deploying the primary on the long hose). The most important thing is not that it lays flat or that there is no right way up or that its detuned. BTW, a correctly configured bungeed backup is always right side up and easy to switch to.

Now if you've invented some "Kernthian" system of your own, with your own preferences and priorities, using whatever gear you happen to have at hand, I don't know anything about that. Nor do I care. As long as we aren't dive buddies, you can dive however you like with whatever equipment configuration you want. For all I care you can use the Egress as your primary. :shrug:

Taking a fresh look at this, it does seem strange to have a top end Legend and then want an octo that wasn't diver adjustable and doesn't have a dive/predive level, so the octo needs to be detuned by a reg tech (to prevent the all-to-common free flows). Given that, I'm not surprised you hold many reg techs in low regard.

Back on topic, almost a year ago 3ddiver asked for input on buying an Egress. As a former owner, I thought he might appreciate some insight beyond the typical high-dollar reg owner with some sort of low cost, non-adjustable, detuned backup for his buddy. He was free to do whatever he wants with the advice. Who knows, if he's still around maybe he'll be the second person to adopt your "Kernthian" system?

My backup is bungeed under my chin on a 22" hose (I use twin fisherman's knots ). I can get to it without using my hands, it's very easy to switch too. It is always right side up. Its nice that it sits flat on my chest out of the way, for me anyway. I only use for rec diving, the secondary on my doubles is an ATX 200. For the occasional use with deco bottles I found it's ability to deploy from the left or right side handy for my own reasons, but as your not interested I won't go into them.

As a matter of fact, as you seem to only want to be belligerent I'll leave you to it.

PS. Just one last question though. Are you a UTD?
PPS. I'll have to take a little more notice a threads start date.

I have had one a few months and like it (normal rec setup.) I prefer octos that have no upside down and this is a good one. Do get an occasional freeflow when I jump in but a quick whack stops it.

Why anyone would want to use a clunky second stage primary regulator as an octopus is beyond me. The Egress and others like it were designed to solve problems created by the awkward shape (think tennis ball with horns), mechanical complexity and touchy behaviour of the primary second stage. Somebody did not get the message, apparently.

Wow, John I usually find your posts fair and to the point, but i have to say the tone on this post doesn't match your usual responses. Totally uncalled for!

Show me and article on Hog set up that says "you must use a diver adjustable second stage" You also claim the egress will not work, but don't give any reason for it.

As a mater of fact this quote from one Jarrod Jablonski would seem to disagree with your statement:

*Reduce, Reduce, and Reduce* Too many divers today seem under the impression that more is always better. In cave diving what is needed is better; what is not needed is a detriment. Equipment choice like most things is a cost vs. benefit analysis in which one must weigh the potential risk against the perceived benefit. The difficult part and in fact the thing that really defines a safe and effective diver is their ability to accurately evaluate the benefit while candidly weighing the acceptable risk.

Source: Hogarthian Gear Configuration

The egress is a very nice balanced diaphragm second stage as you previously indicated and there's no reason it would not work in a long hose configuration other than not fitting in with the DIR crowd. The only possible knock I can find for not using it would be in extremely cold waters! Possibly!

The detuning comments were a suggestion for someone not using in long hose configuration but you seem to group the 2 together for some reason?

John, I don't know you and don't mean to disrespect you either... it just seems out of character.

Wys

John, I don't know you and don't mean to disrespect you either... it just seems out of character.

Wys
Sorry if my post last night was out of line. Must've been a bad night.

Apologies to you and to Kern.

John

I am still here and have not had any problems withthe Egress. As a matter of fact I have had more problems with the Legend than anything. It was fine when new and has been serviced 6 times by 3 shops a try and retry at each one and none of them can get it to stop the freefowing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom