Apeks or Aqua Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the ATX 100 is similar in design to the Legend and the ATX 200 is similar to the Legend LX ?

As it was put before, no I do not need a 100 paint job so there is no point in the black pearl.

I have heard that Apeks and Aqua Lung make good regulators that don't ice up in cold water, so is it worth it to get the supreme versions?

ScubaDadMiami:
About the only less than favorable thing I have heard about them was that they tend to cause the flow of bubbles to go in your face when you exhale with them.

Either regulator is a good choice but I would still go with the LX Supreme over the Apeks.

This was the trade off for the decrease in size from the TX series. Less weight, more bubbles. Some still claim that the Tx exhaust diaphragm rests nicely on your chin taking the brunt of the weight. They are still available if you prefer them.

Went and visited my local dive shop today...

I don't know if I believe them or not, but the guy who works there told me that the only difference between the Aqua Lung Legend LX and Legend LX Supreme was there was a half a turn different in an adjustment. Is this correct or not?

He did recommend the Legend LX or the Supreme for that matter as he put it, the deeper you go, the easier it works.

My main concern is the supreme only a small adjustment that you can make to the LX, if that is the case, than I can save a couple dollars and just purchase a LX.

tnstaafl:
I
I am looking at the apeks atx100, atx 200 and the aqua lung legend series. I was also wondering about the apeks black pearl regulator. How does it compare to the rest?

I bought an Apeks ATX50 this summer. The repair kits for the
atx50, 100, 200 and Black Pearl are the same. This says that the internal
working of all three regs are the same. They only differ by the
hose routing and the cosmetics. So if all you care about is
how it breaths go with the ATX50.

I think the Legend is very slightly better but I was able to pick up the atx50 for well under $300 and the shop tossed in two years free anual maintance. It was a no-brainer deal for me Cost did it and I'm very happy with the "50".

tnstaafl:
Went and visited my local dive shop today...

I don't know if I believe them or not, but the guy who works there told me that the only difference between the Aqua Lung Legend LX and Legend LX Supreme was there was a half a turn different in an adjustment. Is this correct or not?

He did recommend the Legend LX or the Supreme for that matter as he put it, the deeper you go, the easier it works.

My main concern is the supreme only a small adjustment that you can make to the LX, if that is the case, than I can save a couple dollars and just purchase a LX.

depending on where will be diving, the Supreme version has a few things that may be of use to you.
It has the lip protector,
IT has the heat sink on the second stage.
It is alos detuned a little to prevent the freeflow.
Oh yeah, can't forget the snow flake...

rescuediver009:
depending on where will be diving, the Supreme version has a few things that may be of use to you.
It has the lip protector,
IT has the heat sink on the second stage.
It is alos detuned a little to prevent the freeflow.
Oh yeah, can't forget the snow flake...

I have a Legend LX and it does in fact have the heat sink on the second stage. I believe all the supreme has that the LX doesn't is the lip protector and its tuned a little more conservatively. The snowflake is very cool though :wink:

I have now been diving the 100 for three years-- salt water, lake diving at 40 degrees; IMO, it is outstanding for the price

Apeks was aquired by AL USA so they could use the technology in the ATX200 and others in the AL line of Regs. My AL Legend LX is basically the same as the 200 with the edition of a fancy gold ring, that of course makes it breather better........right? Ok, save a dollar and get the Apeks you will be very pleased!

I just purchased the apeks atx200 today. They stocked the legend lx and the apex was slightly more money than the legend lx.

I do think I will be happy with my purchase though...

Now to find an octopus for the atx 200... see my other thread for more details

tnstaafl:
I just purchased the apeks atx200 today. They stocked the legend lx and the apex was slightly more money than the legend lx.

I do think I will be happy with my purchase though...

Now to find an octopus for the atx 200... see my other thread for more details

Yes, you will be happy with it. I have the ATX50 which breaths
the same as the 200.
With the adjustment knob dialed all the way out it breaths so well that
you just don't think about it. With the knob out like that it will
free flow on the surface sometimes but just turn the knob back in
and the reg becomes de-tuned.

I put one of those smaller, slim line Aqualung octos on my ATX50. I like the idea that it works either upside down or right side up and it does not free flow or bubble at all and it's not bulky like a standard reg

Back
Top Bottom