Apeks Pricing Geographics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vinsanity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Why is it that Apeks pricing seems to vary so widely. Take a DST+XTX50 pair. Without throwing any specific vendors under the bus for high prices:
  • Big online US retailer 1: $629
  • Big online US retailer 2: $599
  • My LDS: $566
  • Online Retailer in Netherlands: €347 = $422
  • Online Retailer in Finland: €338 = $412
  • Didn't immediately find international shipping UK Retailer to compare a VAT-less price, but the strength of the pound probably makes this not a great option financially.
I asked the EU retailers what HS codes they use and they range from 0% or 2.5% import tariff into the US. So that's not it.

An Aqualung employee on this board posted that the "free services parts for life" program is not from AL/Apeks proper, but rather from the North American distributor (Aqualung North America), so it only applies in US/Canada.

Is this simply a case of an arrangement between Aqualung North America & US/Canada dive shops, that Aqualung will increase the price of their products to cover future service parts, and LDS will happily push them because they quality products that also guarantee a labor stream from the over-aggressive service schedule necessary to get said parts? Or am I just missing some unexpected tax?

And this is why I buy all my Apeks regs in the EU. Always ship them out of the EU so its VAT free, I also travel to the EU often buy I don't have an EU passport so I just claim the VAT back.

It is crazy how big of a price difference there is.

You will also find this the same with SP stuff. For example MK25 with G260 is usually around €350 = $425 (VAT free price)

the "free parts" have to get covered somewhere. no free lunch.
No one expects a free lunch, but I don't think that meal is worth the cost and am looking to opt out of it. I'll do my own inspections and take it to my LDS to be rebuilt when it's necessary. It will take many, many years to break even.

And this is why I buy all my Apeks regs in the EU. Always ship them out of the EU so its VAT free, I also travel to the EU often buy I don't have an EU passport so I just claim the VAT back.

You will also find this the same with SP stuff. For example MK25 with G260 is usually around €350 = $425 (VAT free price)
Yeah, shipping is $30, so my plan is to buy from the EU and ship them home. Just wasn't sure if I had missing something big as it seemed too easy.

I was guessing that SP was a similar situation. As runsongas noted, "no free lunch." You pay for the parts either up front or as you go, but the math on the up front and then advertised as "free" is just a ****** deal that I don't want. So if my options are being forced into a bad service deal or bipass my LDS and Aqualung North America and send my $$ to Aqualung Europe... so be it.

I know it's off topic, but can you list your bailout gases for the dive pic you posted and GF?

Just wasn't sure if I had missing something big as it seemed too easy.

Nope your not missing anything, and I do not quite understand why more people are not doing this. I think its just most in the US are a little hesitant to order form overseas but trust me it works. Also you have to have some patience, I have found that most EU online retails don't actually stock stuff so many times they have to order from the manufacture first then it ships to there EU location then they ship it out to you and all this depend on if the manufacture has it in stock. So if your not in a hurry then yes you can save yourself a heap on money, but if you want that instant American consumer satisfaction then your going to have to pay the full Amazon same day shipping price.

I know it's off topic, but can you list your bailout gases for the dive pic you posted and GF?

Sorry I'm a little confused what picture??

Also on a side note about ordering from the EU and what US duties are required. Some are probably wondering about orders over $800 for dive equipment.

As @Marie13 has been so kind of point out to me that most diving gear is duty free.

I actually have a larger order in with and EU online retailer that should be shipping in the next couple days to a US address I have so I will confirm once it clears customs if I had to pay any duties on it.

Import Duties/Tax into the US

Also on a side note about ordering from the EU and what US duties are required. Some are probably wondering about orders over $800 for dive equipment.

As @Marie13 has been so kind of point out to me that most diving gear is duty free.

I actually have a larger order in with and EU online retailer that should be shipping in the next couple days to a US address I have so I will confirm once it clears customs if I had to pay any duties on it.

Import Duties/Tax into the US

Theres a water sports HS code in chapter 95, I think, that covers a lot of scuba gear. However, there’s a chapter 90 one that covers regs and rebreathers. Drysuits and drysuit undies are going to fall under clothing. I know, I know, doesn’t make sense, but that’s what others who’ve ordered from Seaskin have reported what was used. Bags of any kind will be under chapter 42.

Nope your not missing anything, and I do not quite understand why more people are not doing this. I think its just most in the US are a little hesitant to order form overseas but trust me it works. Also you have to have some patience, I have found that most EU online retails don't actually stock stuff so many times they have to order from the manufacture first then it ships to there EU location then they ship it out to you and all this depend on if the manufacture has it in stock. So if your not in a hurry then yes you can save yourself a heap on money, but if you want that instant American consumer satisfaction then your going to have to pay the full Amazon same day shipping price.

Some of us don’t buy from overseas because we want to support local/US businesses. That’s why I have a DUI, rather than Seaskin. If suit has to go back to the manufacturer, it only has to go to California. In any case, I recently wanted the Kubi glove system. Seemed US dealers were out of stock. I ordered directly from Kubi in the UK. Ordered Sunday, shipped Monday, had them Tuesday. Was maybe $50 cheaper, even with the 3 pairs of spare gloves I ordered and shipping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom