Apeks WTX??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been looking at both the DR Trans-pack and the Apecks WTX. Liked the WTX I tried out but didnt care for the wing, as mentioned it seems very large not sure what size was on the one i tried so it may have been the 40 or larger.

I have both and much prefer the WTX. I do use the old style Venture wing 30#. If I need a new wing for some reason, I would buy a DSS 30 - no hesitation.

thats the setup I've been looking at. just savin my pennies

I personally use the WTX with the weight pockets and 2 wings the 30 and the 40 (which actually is a 45LBS lift wing) both can be used without a single tank adapter and without the backplate. The wing is sandwiched between the Harness and the tank using the 4 slots in the tank area of the wing. One thing to remember is the harness is very customizable and you can add just the correct lift for your needs. I like the #30 wing for warm water travel and the 45 for cold water and lots of weight. The other modification I did was to install a couple of tank band weight pockets and the Apollo Tank band for better trim and so that the wing doesn’t try to tip me foreword on the surface as bad. (The Apollo band Is probably overkill but I like it because it allows for a weigh pocket on either side of the tank without getting in the way.)

I have both and much prefer the WTX. I do use the old style Venture wing 30#. If I need a new wing for some reason, I would buy a DSS 30 - no hesitation.

Could you tell me the width of the cam band slots, & the distance centre to centre from the top to bottom slot on the WTX. If the width of the slot is over 2'' or the distance from top to bottom slot is not at 6'' no single tank DSS wing will work. They certainly won't fit a TP.

PS. My bad, Just realised you can slid a BP into the WTX & use an STA that meets the 2'' wide 6'' long requirement of the DSS wing.

Could you tell me the width of the cam band slots, & the distance centre to centre from the top to bottom slot on the WTX. If the width of the slot is over 2'' or the distance from top to bottom slot is not at 6'' no single tank DSS wing will work. They certainly won't fit a TP.

PS. My bad, Just realised you can slid a BP into the WTX & use an STA that meets the 2'' wide 6'' long requirement of the DSS wing.

Did you ever get setup? How do you like it?

Hi

I realise this is a little off-topic, but I'm hoping that someone here could help me.

I've got the WTX harness (size M) with the Apeks backplate. I have previously noticed that the top holes (those I would use to bolt on doubles) of the backplate and the harness don't line up. As I didn't intend diving doubles, it didn't bother me much. I now plan on diving doubles, and this obviously presents a problem.

I went to my LDS and noticed that on the size L harness, they line up perfectly. Also, Apeks only makes one size BP so I assumed the spacing would be ok. Obviously I assumed wrongly.

Does anybody else have a size M harness and BP, and do these holes line up?

Cheers

Gunter

... Yes they should. All harnesses like that have 11" spacing between the pair of holes. I have an Apeks WTX harness with WTX3 wing & weight pockets. I use the STA because I use the BP inside the vest for more weight since I'm in cold waters. The only problem is that the 1" standards dive-rite or other company bolts arent long enough. Since the wing & harness have a double webbing on each side to make it stronger you need 1/4" more to make it fit. Went to home depot and found some carriage bolts that fit the STA.

But to make it short yes the holes should be alined. Try to open the velcro pouch for the BP & hold it down and shake it to put the plate to alined to the max. I need to readjust the backplate everytime I take the STA off because the BP moves around.

Hope it helps

... Yes they should. All harnesses like that have 11" spacing between the pair of holes. I have an Apeks WTX harness with WTX3 wing & weight pockets. I use the STA because I use the BP inside the vest for more weight since I'm in cold waters. The only problem is that the 1" standards dive-rite or other company bolts arent long enough. Since the wing & harness have a double webbing on each side to make it stronger you need 1/4" more to make it fit. Went to home depot and found some carriage bolts that fit the STA.

But to make it short yes the holes should be alined. Try to open the velcro pouch for the BP & hold it down and shake it to put the plate to alined to the max. I need to readjust the backplate everytime I take the STA off because the BP moves around.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the reply.

The problem seems to be that either the BP does not slide far enough into the harness, or the top hole is drilled too low on the BP.

There is no round lower hole, rather Apeks terms it a "lower center slot". In effect, this would allow you to bolt on a STA or doubles where the two bolts are not quite 11" apart.

If I slide the BP about a 1/2 inch out of the pouch, then the holes in the BP align with the lower holes in the webbing. However, I don't think it was designed to work that way.

I believe I'll take my setup to the LDS and see how the different webbings and BPs work when I swop out the individual items. I was merely trying to see if others also had a similar problem on the size M harness.

Cheers,

Gunter

Try to see if there is something jamming the way. I have the same one in M & I can put the Apeks Backplate to max.

Back
Top Bottom