Apeks WTX??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the help.

It seemed to be the pouch. The top edges were stuck together and I have no managed to fit the BP in properly.

If cost is a consideration, the OP should price out the Apeks system and then compare it to the Deep Sea Supply complete rig. The DSS setup is very nice.

I will admit that the Sure-lock weight pockets are quite slick.

I personally use the WTX with the weight pockets and 2 wings the 30 and the 40 (which actually is a 45LBS lift wing) both can be used without a single tank adapter and without the backplate. The wing is sandwiched between the Harness and the tank using the 4 slots in the tank area of the wing. One thing to remember is the harness is very customizable and you can add just the correct lift for your needs. I like the #30 wing for warm water travel and the 45 for cold water and lots of weight.

I have to decide if I go the Apek harness route whether to get the WTX3 or WTX4.

Any issue with aside from weight with the WTX4 as an all-around wing? I'm in the Northeast (NYC) but also dive in the warm climates in the Caribbean. I'll be diving in La Jolla Cove (San Diego) in December.

I'm not doing doubles any time soon (next 6 months) but hopefully withing the next year.

TIA.
:14:

I find that the wtx4 wing is just larger than I need when I am only using 10-18 lbs of weight in a shorty but with 30-40 lbs cold water wetsuit or drysuit the large wing is the perfect amount of lift. the WTX3 just packs smaller.

I have the WTX harness size medium and added the integrated pockets. I placed on order the WTX 4 since I'm going to dive dry and needed the extra weight and will do doubles in the next 6 months.

I want to get the backplate for the extra lbs as trim, 5 lbs would be what I'm looking for so this works just great.

Anyone using the backplate in harness like the sturdy feel it gives, does it have a more stable feel?

I have not dove mine but just walked around in the house with a Steel HP100 and it feels great but I'd like a more stable feel.

I'm so use to my Pro QD i3 that has a plastic backplate. Switching over to the harness gives me superior room in the front but the lack of plastic as a backplate the Pro QD feels more aligned.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MG

I can't tell you since I never dove without the backplate or a plastic one.
But a harness is a pretty ****ty thing to put-on and put-off in water ( for PADI classes)
But the backplate helps and I can't imagine having a harness without a Backplate.
I'd use it the SS one for when I'm up north and a ABS plastic one when I'm in Miami.
My opinion (and I'm a beginner in Scuba) is that you should get the backplate. If you feel uncomfortable because you didn't want to spend 70$ more, it will bite you back. A ****ty dive isn't a pleasant dive and you dive to have fun. Also, if you don't want to spend so much. Some people do the backplates themselves.

Also, IMO, don't get the WTX Bladder. It's not compatible with almost any other companies parts. So a rugged hose that doesn't work with standard rugged hose is kinda annoying & also an inflator that doesn't work with common inflators is annoying too. ( And I have a mac wich doesn't work 100% with common computers :D )

If you have a problem with the inflator, hose or bladder. Other people can help you out easily if you have anything else than an Apeks.

Seraphimx

I can't tell you since I never dove without the backplate or a plastic one.
But a harness is a pretty ****ty thing to put-on and put-off in water ( for PADI classes)
How would you know?
My opinion (and I'm a beginner in Scuba) is that you should get the backplate.

Backplates certainly have their place and many do feel they are the end-all-be-all, but they are not for everybody. If you dive doubles, or other technical types of diving then a BP is the answer. However, for most recreational divers, a significant majority of Scuba divers, dive a BC. The harness system is somewhere in between. I love mine and it is easy to don and doff in the water.

DSS does makes terrific wings, they will be my choice after I retire my Venture wing.

I haven't dove it yet, but I've had my eye on THIS one.

I like the red, I like the shape, and I know OMS makes a solid product.

my .02$

try the oms 32 lb wing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom