Apollo Bio-Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got mine for $100 from my LDS. They were no longer carrying them and only had a pair left so they cut me a deal. At first they said $120 which I gladly said yes to and when i got there they made it $100. I couldn't resist!! They are great. As for in currents I see reports that say they aren't great but I haven't had any problems. We had some heavy current on the Spiegel and I wasn't any worse off than anyone else. I do want to try out Jetfins and personally see the difference soon though.

Miranda

I use both the Jets and Apollo splits.I bought my own springs and replace their straps.Both are very different fins for different use.For easy ,effortless diving and less muscle strain,I use the splits.And its alot faster too, but I hardly dive fast unless I need to get out of a situation.I love slow and lazy dives to enjoy the moments,sceneries and of course for better gas management!The Jets are heavy and stiffer but very good for frogs,turns,helicopters and the modified flutter..Yes it has more control in fighting currents but it takes a toll on my leg muscle in the beginning till i got use to it.Now i enjoy using both fin in any kind of condition.Its a matter of understanding the fins strength and exploiting it and also learn to compensate its weaknesses .Don't waste your time trying to figure which is a "better "fin!Both are great fins to use once you're used to it.Once in a Cozumel dive boat I saw half of the divers were using splits !I was the only one using a Jet.But then with the drift diving in Cozumel ,both fins work just as well effortlessly!

The "splits don't do well in current" thing is something I really don't understand. Think about it. It just makes no sense.

A fin, in combination with your legs, can generate a given amount of push forward. If a current is pushing you, whether backward, sideways, or whatever, that changes nothing about any fins ability to push you forward. It is just factored into your total progress.

If, with a given pair of fins, you can move at 2 knots in a pool, then in a 1 knot head current, you can move forward at 1 knot. Simple really.

To say that somehow, because of moving water, the split in the fin suddenly makes them useless is just silly. I can't imagine why people ever give this issue any thought at all. Maybe divers need some remedial physics classes.

So, if a fin is the fastest/easiest out of a current, then it's still the fastest/easiest in a current.

The Bios are as good as anything else in currents. Swimming into currents isn't generally what you want to be doing anyway.

This is one of those silly things divers seem to really overthink without ever actually stopping to consider rationally.

I hate to do this, but the theory goes beyond remedial physics and begins to touch upon fluid dynamics. The idea is relevant because certain fins designs (i.e.: split fins) are meant for a shorter, less forceful kick. They use the motion of the fin to be more efficient with this type of kick. When in a current the tendency is to kick harder, at which point the split in the fin spreads open and allows more water to go through the fin. In this case, a more traditional fin allows for more efficient transfer of power.

That being said, I have yet to use my brand new apollo bio-fins in any type of current. I will happily provide this board with some field test results once I have used the fins in both types of water.

Just my two cents.

Fluid dynamics or not, the amount of thrust generated by a given fin does not change in a current. You are in a current (self-generated) any time you move through water... you're just in more of one in an actual current. As you noted, someone might change the way they are using the fins, falsely thinking what they are doing is helping, but that's THEIR mistake, not the fin's. I call BS on anyone saying "splits are lousy in a current". Time and time again, tests have shown that the bio-fins produce more thrust than any other fin out there. Those results don't magically go away just because the water is flowing into your face.

CompuDude:
...but that's THEIR mistake, not the fin's. I call BS on anyone saying "splits are lousy in a current". Time and time again, tests have shown that the bio-fins produce more thrust than any other fin out there. Those results don't magically go away just because the water is flowing into your face.

I agree with you completely. That's why I bought them.

If used correctly, they should be very effective in any "current." I do think a lot of people revert to a more traditional kick if they feel a current pushing against them, however, and that's when they are less effective.

Isn't easy/fast opposites? if propusion comes from resistance?

The Ocean Gods required a sacrifice of one Bio-fin recently and I nearly cried. :( I love(d) them.
I got a good deal on some Scubapro Twin Jets so I got those instead. They're good fins, they work well and are a bit better at a frog kick. They are stiffer which I'm still undecided on and the fin pocket just isn't as comfortable. I'm hoping that they break in a bit.

If anyone is looking to sell one small bio-fin, please let me know. :D

Those split fins rock a lot of divers here on Okinawa have them including myself so you should have just as much success with yours.....

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

back to my original question can the bio fin be an effective

in CROSS currents (as per my original post)

Current is shifting from left to right and right to left every few feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom